Goa!
May 20, 2002 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phidauex

Sees your every move. Eats your potatoes.
Does anyone here listen to Goa Trance? Does anyone know what it is here?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure a few do. I've really been getting into it. A really ripping saw wave can make a man realize that a Prophet 5 or a Nord Lead are as much a musical instrument with passion and soul as any violin! Also, the mind bending psychedelia is a bonus.

For anyone who doesn't know what Goa is, its a style of electronic music invented in Goa, India. Its straight beat trance, but hard and fast. Its defined from 'regular' trance by its liberal use of very harsh and viceral saw wave synth leads, deep rumbling sustained pads, and liberal use of beeps, boops, and creaks. Its intended to be intense and psychedelic. For anyone who doesn't believe that electronic music actually uses instruments, many goa groups use synths like the Prophet 5, which was a true triumph of the analog synth development era of the 70s. No one has been able to reproduce the sound and feel of a Prophet with a digital domain synth. Musicians hound after the originals, and after they have heard the real thing, can accept no imitations. They truly are wonderful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, if you are curious what Goa is, or want to find more Goa, here are some essential groups to look up. If anyone has any goa they like, please let me know, I'm always looking for new stuff! And if anyone knows any good places to buy goa records, please post that too! I'm always looking for sources of rare/hard to find electronic music.

Hux Flux - This is truly music for computer geeks. With song titles like Bring Your Own BIOS and Calculus, its also filled with electronic sounds from your daily life. I was listening to the song Idiot at a friends house, and he was constantly checking his cell phone to see if it was ringing, and at one point he ran into his room to see if his alarm clock was going off. But it was all in the music.
wink.gif

Juno Reactor - More tribal in nature. A little more 'musical', so to speak, it has a lot of conga drumming and tribal vocals. Its all good, but I recommend God Is God, Pistolero, and Nitrogen as some great songs.

Infected Mushroom - Similar to Juno Reactor, but with a little more of a 'mean streak' on the cutting synth leads. Once again, I've never heard an Infected Mushroom song I didn't like, but Nothing Is Real, Symphonatic and Bust a Move are great starters.

Anyway, there's lots more, but I want to hear some people's other suggestions. BTW, when I listen to this sort of music, I usually use my Sony MDR-7506s. It sounds great through my HD590s, but the 7506s really give a bit more slam in the bass and a bit more bite in the highs that this music appreciates. However, once again, it sounds really bad through V600s! I was auditioning some records at a shop the other day, and they let me listen to the records, which is always nice, but the headphones they had there were V600s, and I had neglected to bring my own
frown.gif
oh well, they were good enough for me to choose which records to buy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,
phidauex

May 22, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 8
I pretty much stick with hardcore and noise as far as electronic stuff goes, but my gf likes the trancey stuff.

She has a CD by a group called Noma which I think may be Goa, would I be correct?

May 22, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 8
I was beginning to think no one would reply to this thread
wink.gif

Yes, Noma is Goa/psytrance! And good too. They are on the Dragonfly label i think, which is a very good label, I like most things on Dragonfly.
smily_headphones1.gif

peace,
phidauex

May 22, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a small collection of electronic music which includes two
Juno Reactor CDs:
-bible of dreams
-beyond the infinite

I like them because they have creative beats that are not too repetitive, don't know what you call this stuff but it is much better than most repetitve electronic trance type music.

May 23, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I have a small collection of electronic music which includes two
Juno Reactor CDs:
-bible of dreams
-beyond the infinite

I like them because they have creative beats that are not too repetitive, don't know what you call this stuff but it is much better than most repetitve electronic trance type music.

I agree wholeheartedly, DarkAngel. Bible of Dreams is one of my most favored albums in my whole collection! If you like those two albums, you should check out Juno Reactor's new album Shango. I'm very happy with it as well! Also, if you like Juno Reactor, you'd also probably enjoy Infected Mushroom or Man With No Name, if you are looking to expand your electronic music collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Juno Reactor can be accurately called Goa or Psytrance. I've also heard it called 'Tribal' Trance. There are so many catagories and sub-catagories that sometimes its best to forget the catagories and just say "I like it, its good, and thats all that matters!"
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the psytrance/goa style is very creative for electronic music. Its definately more aggressive than regular trance, both in energy, and complexity. I get a huge kick out of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

peace,
phidauex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back