Go-vibe to continue...
Sep 28, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 23
this is nice to hear considering the place norm's amps have held for those on a budget trying to get into this game.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 23
So, this way all Go Vibe amps, made by Norm, become exclusive or something
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, this way all Go Vibe amps, made by Norm, become exclusive or something
tongue.gif

Yeah, looks that way......it'll feel all the more special to actually own one of the 'originals' now. The superb soldering skills evident 'under the hood', the small handwritten sticker inside the battery cover denoting the 8620/8610 op-amps inside my V5, and the reciept all serving as a badge of authenticity
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 23
Not just a mere "someone".

Uncle Wilson of Jaben is the Tyll Heartsens of head-fi audio in Singapore. He's the one who brought us the Mylar XB & X3 IEMs, and from what I understand has a large retail store in Singapore with amps, sources and cans on display to demo.

Very interesting indeed
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uncle Wilson of Jaben is the Tyll Heartsens of head-fi audio in Singapore. He's the one who brought us the Mylar XB & X3 IEMs, and from what I understand has a large retail store in Singapore with amps, sources and cans on display to demo.

Very interesting indeed
wink.gif

Sounds like just the man for the job then, eh...?
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 23
My silly little story here.

I tried to buy a Go-vibe7 beofre they were gone. I knew it was $129 with the small custom case for the MAX version, but Norm didn't list a price for the AC and charging circuit. I figured with a 20 hour battery life I'd need to charge once a day, rather than buy $80 in alkaline batteries a month.

So, I emailed Norm on a Wednesday, asking for price with the AC and charging circuit in the small custom case. He didn't reply till Saturday with the price, while I was out of town. When I got back into town after being out all weekend, I paypal'd him the $180 on Monday. But, he was already sold-out and refunded me on Tuesday...

At first I was upset because if Norm had replied to me within 48 hours, before the weekend, I could have paid before they were gone. Then I blamed myself because I could have sent the $129 to start the order, then sent more money for the AC and charging circuit.

BUT, THAT REFUND went to help me buy my iBasso D1, for which I am MUCH happier about having. At the time the GV7 MAXX was going to be used as my higher power amp for home, with my TH mainly for mobile.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiglazer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know how long Norm's had this statement posted up on his website, but it seems like he's found someone to carry the line on. Should be interesting, don't you think...?

www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com

I'm kind of unclear as to what this means? Will Norm just email Jaben the CAD files and Jaben will continue making the GoVibe V7? Or is there more extended consulting going on?

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of unclear as to what this means? Will Norm just email Jaben the CAD files and Jaben will continue making the GoVibe V7? Or is there more extended consulting going on?

Your guess is as good as mine. I think you'd have to ask Norm' or Jaben themselves, with regard to that. Either way, like daveDerek says further up this thread - it's good news for those who want quality on a budget, and that's the main thing.
We'll all have to be patient to see the outcome of any future Go-vibe creations/innovations. Norm' designing further versions, and Jaben actually putting them together, maybe?
I think Norm' became a victim of his own success, too much demand for a small cottage industry, perhaps? This way he can take a break from actually having to put the things together himself - All that soldering = sore fingers
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 23
Headphone Addict: have you ever had a chance to a/b the GV7 and D1 (amp only)? I have. I am curious to hear what your impressions were, head to head. Bear in mind, this is a
non dac a/b where the D1 is far superior.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone Addict: have you ever had a chance to a/b the GV7 and D1 (amp only)? I have. I am curious to hear what your impressions were, head to head. Bear in mind, this is a
non dac a/b where the D1 is far superior.

Post your opinion away!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Specially of the modded vs. non-modded D1.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 23
I shall, but I was curious, for the moment, of the D1 v GV7.
I, for some reason, can't find my GV7 today to do a physical head to head. Any ideas where it might be?

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very interesting indeed
wink.gif

last i went there (about 6 -8 months ago) the shop definitely was not large....it was small... but the inventory was huge though...making the main shoplot even smaller...lol

anyway, he also told me when i was there that he was gonna be renovating the shoplot...dont know how that turned out though.

i actually have pix of the shop in another forum....but sadly that forum is down at the moment and i cant get the link to it...*edit: see below*

but nice to hear uncle wilson agreed to continue something that should not have been discontinued in the first place
biggrin.gif

EDIT: got the link... HERE

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiglazer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just seen this announcement from Wilson, on the Jaben forum.....no mention of the deal with Norm', but obviously something in the pipeline by the sound of what he says...
wink.gif

And here's a link to the announcement from Wilson, for those interested:
http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=809.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back