Go-Vibe 6 or Xin SuperMicro
Apr 15, 2007 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm currently in possession of the Go-Vibe 5, and I have decided to go for the iMod. I'm also buying a new interconnect, and I thought of maybe updating my amp if it's a worthwhile difference. After talking to several people, I came across these two to be the best bargain in terms of sound quality (I'm not big on features). I'm wondering which will go better with the ER-4S. Any suggestions? Or should I just stick to the Go-Vibe 5?

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm currently in possession of the Go-Vibe 5, and I have decided to go for the iMod. I'm also buying a new interconnect, and I thought of maybe updating my amp if it's a worthwhile difference. After talking to several people, I came across these two to be the best bargain in terms of sound quality (I'm not big on features). I'm wondering which will go better with the ER-4S. Any suggestions? Or should I just stick to the Go-Vibe 5?

you might want to check out EFN's govibe/tomahawk review

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 22
I think the er4s is Xin's daily headphone. I prefer the micro to the V5. The micro is a MAJOR improvement especially in regards to organic realism. It does away with the mechanical sheen I hear in the v5. The Xin is in an entirely different sphere of existence.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 22
I'm salivating over the Micro IV already
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, I'm not really excited about the wait period, but I just may go for it. Any direct comparisons with the Go-Vibe 6 anyone?

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 22
I already have a V5 though :p but with the LM chips. I'm probably going to jump on the micro though. I just wish it was as thin as the Mini (which apparently doesn't compare is sound quality). Although, it is a small difference in thickness. But I'm sure it will be a dramatic improvement over carrying the Go-Vibe 5 in my pant-pocket. That thing is just a pain for portability.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Aaah BTW, Go-Vibe V6 8620/8610 and V5s using the same OpAmp will be similar in sound because basically both are using the very same board design, except that Norm has integrated the internal charging circuitry.

Take my word, GVs are some kick-ass amp in their own right

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I heard you wrote a review on the Micro EFN. Do you happen to have a link to the thread?

Sorry I have not received my SuperMicro yet. Even if I have it now it will take at least 100 hours before I start writing a review on it.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks! Nice review. I'm surprised to see that your findings were so similar. I expected worlds of difference. Maybe the Micro is the middleground I'm looking for
wink.gif
But the thought of waiting makes me shudder... I'll try and find a buyer for my Go-Vibe 5 first!

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Well I gotta hand it to you. I'm really quite the blind one here. I can't believe I didn't realize that iMod review was written by you! Must have given you much better impressions of each amp's own character. How did you feel about the Go-Vibe in comparison to the Tomahawk in this new setup?

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Well I gotta hand it to you. I'm really quite the blind one here. I can't believe I didn't realize that iMod review was written by you! Must have given you much better impressions of each amp's own character. How did you feel about the Go-Vibe in comparison to the Tomahawk in this new setup?

Thanks, you have to take into account that Tomahawk was in early stage at that time. And I can attest to many findings by other Head-Fiers that Tomahawk will bloom considerably over the first 600 hours. This is due to the huge cap size used in the TH unit. Now in most areas TH will clearly outclass GV-6 - but considering that TH has a pricetag 3 times of GV6 so this is expected. That could only serve to prove that GV6 is the Strongest contender for amps below $100.

What TH excel more than GV6 is in the properly defined separation border and this helps a lot in forming a solid soundstage. GV6 has wide soudstage as well but the separation is a bit marred by interwined instruments.

And somehow I find Ray's signature mids a bit more appealing with regard to the type of cans I used.

But if you ask me, if I can only afford a $100 amp, GV6 will surely be the one.

And yes, iMod is a wonder piece and any good amp will definitely respond very well to it (both GV6 and TH).

Now the trial will begin (tommorow) when my much anticipated SuperMicro IV starts her burning in process
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back