Go on -- sell me on the Headroom Desktop Balanced...
Jun 2, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 30
I remember reading a similar question a couple weeks ago, and I believe you can use the front outputs as variable outs (acting as a preamp). Only thing is that a) you'll need to change cables between using headphones and interconnects, and b) you'll need male XLR's to connect to the front of the BDA (unlike female XLR's you'd normally use with a preamp) - so either cables terminated that way, or using a male-male XLR coupler.

Don't take my word for it though
wink.gif
I am working from memory - double check with HeadRoom to be safe
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading a similar question a couple weeks ago, and I believe you can use the front outputs as variable outs (acting as a preamp). Only thing is that a) you'll need to change cables between using headphones and interconnects, and b) you'll need male XLR's to connect to the front of the BDA (unlike female XLR's you'd normally use with a preamp) - so either cables terminated that way, or using a male-male XLR coupler.

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Wow... I had no idea, such an idiot. I might do this in the future.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Will do -- thanks for the suggestion, which makes this amp seem closer to the flexibility of its SE brother. I've not used an HP amp as a varible out before but it ought to provide as much gain as I'd ever need...

thanks and best,

o

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #19 of 30
Electronically there is no difference between the headphone jack on the front of the SE Desktop and the "Pre Amp" outputs on the back. They're just on the back panel and RCA's for convenience.

So yes, you can certainly use the balanced jacks on the front of the Balanced Desktop the same way you'd use the SE pre amp function.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronically there is no difference between the headphone jack on the front of the SE Desktop and the "Pre Amp" outputs on the back. They're just on the back panel and RCA's for convenience.

So yes, you can certainly use the balanced jacks on the front of the Balanced Desktop the same way you'd use the SE pre amp function.

Yes, I've tried HRDB front end SE jacks as pre-out using 1/4"-2RCA interconnect, it worked just fine with either VR at max for low gain, at 3/4 position for med or 1/2 for high gain. I believe front end xlr jacks do the same.

Is there anyone can share balancing grado gs1000 -- very interested to know how good the GS1000s might sound balanced...

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 30
ive always thought that a line out will bypass the amp portion inside..

So you can plug in 2 XLR -> RCA and use the balanced headphone out as a preamp out?

I actually have those cables from Agile still which i use with the Lavry, since it doesnt have RCA outputs, only balanced.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 30
I played with a Balanced Desktop pre-production model for a week and let me tell you, its a pretty sweet little amp, and the DAC is definately worth the $$$, i used it at work via USB with a pair of balanced HD650's and it was very nice sounding indeed!

i have never purchased an amp, i always build my own, but if i were to purchase an amp, it would definately be this one...

happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive always thought that a line out will bypass the amp portion inside..

That would typically be called a "loop out", not line out.

Quote:

So you can plug in 2 XLR -> RCA and use the balanced headphone out as a preamp out?

Yup.

Quote:

I actually have those cables from Agile still which i use with the Lavry, since it doesnt have RCA outputs, only balanced.

Sounds like you need to get to work on Tyll.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is this something unique to the HR amp? I had another brand of balanced amp with the only balanced output being the XLRs of the headphone jack. When I inquired about using the hp outs as a pre-amp like function, I was told there could be an impedance mismatch that could result in damage to either piece of equipment attached. Was the person who spoke to me being overly conservative about this type of set up, or is there something different about the HR hp outs? (I must confess that I have never fully gotten my head around all the details of impedance matching/issues. On a practical basis, I only know that impedances exist and that its good to match them.)

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 30
The aluminum case of my desktop balanced (with DAC) is really "hot" after half hour listening, at high temperature. If I stop music playback but don't power off the amp, the temperature goes down not much (even after 1 day). I'm just wondering if this is normal and if it will cause any damage. How about yours, the HRDB owners? Thanks!

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjj121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The aluminum case of my desktop balanced (with DAC) is really "hot" after half hour listening, at high temperature. If I stop music playback but don't power off the amp, the temperature goes down not much (even after 1 day). I'm just wondering if this is normal and if it will cause any damage. How about yours, the HRDB owners? Thanks!

Mine runs quite hot, and recently has begun to heat up the music that goes through it. Listening to a Jeff Buckley tune last night that had, via the Desktop Balanced w/ DAC, acquired a samba beat and horn section. Weird.

o

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine runs quite hot, and recently has begun to heat up the music that goes through it. Listening to a Jeff Buckley tune last night that had, via the Desktop Balanced w/ DAC, acquired a samba beat and horn section. Weird.

o

Lol. I wish it worked this way. Then you'd feed a minimalist ambient piece into one of those exotic 6-tube amps and get Johann Sebastien Bach out the other end.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

It's normal and a function of the class A biased modules. By definition Class A requires a lot of current usage which corresponds to elevated temperatures even when the amp is just idling.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 30
Just a quick note to thank all who advised on this purchase -- the HRDB is now in the house, as am I, finally, and making some VERY sweet sounds indeed though I'm still waiting on a balanced cable for my hd650s so have yet to experience the full monty. It's a neat combination of transparency and extreme listenability even used SE, though, and seems to do everything at least very well, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

thanks again and best,

o

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Is there anyone can share balancing grado gs1000 -- very interested to know how good the GS1000s might sound balanced...

Answer myself...

I've owned gs1000 for a month. HRDB drives my SE gs1000 very well, tight bass and very well-defined mid-range/high. The sound is just stunning. The synergy with gs1000 is even better than with my balanced hd650.

So don't worry about the synergy between headroom and grado
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back