Go on -- sell me on the Headroom Desktop Balanced...
May 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
Close to pulling the trigger on this as part of a move away from my home rig, which doesn't get much listening time anymore. I'm currently using a Duet as source and a Duet and/or SLI-80 as HP amp. LOVE the Duet but want to move to a one-box solution and would like to be able to use the amp as a source for my speaker rig. My phones are:

HD-650
DX1000
RS1

Budget means I'd be listening to the DX1000s and RS1s single-ended to start with and would go for the basic stock-cable balancing act for the HD650s -- not sure how good the RS1s might sound balanced. My questions:

1. Home DAC or DAC-less?
2. Is it worth balancing RS1s?
3. Ditto the DX1000s?
4. Can I use the Desktop as a variable-output DAC into my speaker amp?
5. Is the Balanced Desktop all that?

thanks in advance and best,

o
_________

May 31, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 30
the balanced desktop is what i want as my next amp...its that good yes. I will be going balanced with my 650s for sure. Its just a matter of time and im really loving the HR Millet Hybrid i have now...really a great sounding amp and love the ability to roll tubes. I already got 5 sets of tubes (10 total) and im on the look out for more...god i hate this hobby.

Ive heard the balanced desktop and its fantastic.

Im not to sure on the DAC though, most of the time ive heard it through a good source.

Ive heard 1 pair of balanced RS1s, not to much though...however they do sound pretty nice.

May 31, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 30
Edited response, first one is quoted a few posts below:

I own the DB, and it is amazing. I read every review I could get my hands on, and they all said that it was ferocious. This is how I would describe it. As for your headphones, recabling is pricey, and can cause resale issues. I tried to sell my balanced K701, and it got no interest, so I rescinded my offer. As for the DAC, you have to consider that if you decide you want to upgrade your DAC, you can't resell the built-in one. I firmly believe the DB is "all that."

(I have heard the RS1 and many other Grados, and have noticed that both of my headphones responded well to being balanced in the same manner. Separation, bass, soundstage all improved. This tends to be the general improvements that occur after balancing.)

May 31, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Home DAC or DAC-less? Unless you already have a balanced source, go for the DAC option. I can't speak for its quality, but I am sure it is quite good. I already had a balanced DAC.
2. Is it worth balancing RS1s? I have heard it is, but you have to factor in the cost, and potential resale issues.
3. Ditto the DX1000s? Don't balance these, because they are rare. You would probably have tremendous difficulty ever reselling them.
4. Can I use the Desktop as a variable-output DAC into my speaker amp? My guess is no.
5. Is the Balanced Desktop all that? Yes. I have not read a single bad word about it. In my very limited experience with amps, I can say that I don't desire more from this amp. It is everything I thought it would be, and it seems to mate well with any headphone.

I would say that the best bang-for-buck system in existence is possibly the Desktop Balanced w/DAC + recabled HD650.

Do I understand correctly that you have not heard any of the equipment you are giving an opinion about?

May 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HR DAC's, particularly balanced, are stunning for their price. You'd have to spend a lot more to better them IMO.

That's good to know -- thanks for the input! I'm guessing that I can run the DB as a variable DAC from its headphone outs, using balanced-to-SE adaptors. Does this sound viable?

I think I probably will hold off on balancing the DX1000s but since they're quite easy to drive and really only require a hint of warmth through the mods, I'm fairly sure that the DB will have no difficulty with them. I work with HPs on and am less interested in absolute transparency at all costs than I am in a highly musical and engaging sound I can enjoy for some time. I'd like this to be a fit n' forget purchase that I won't have to worry about upgrading from anytime soon.

thanks all for the feedback and suggestions and best,

o

May 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to know -- thanks for the input! I'm guessing that I can run the DB as a variable DAC from its headphone outs, using balanced-to-SE adaptors. Does this sound viable?

Yes, it should work just fine.

And just to add to what others have said I reviewed the HRBD (Home/Home modules) and it is a great setup. Given the flexibility of the source section (USB, coax and optical) it is even more remarkable that they can pack that much into such a tiny enclosure and get it to sound really good. I honestly think that it's one of the better audio bargains out there right now.

May 31, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it should work just fine.

Thanks!!! That makes a big difference, given that my Saturn's on the block...

[/QUOTE] And just to add to what others have said I reviewed the HRBD (Home/Home modules) and it is a great setup. Given the flexibility of the source section (USB, coax and optical) it is even more remarkable that they can pack that much into such a tiny enclosure and get it to sound really good. I honestly think that it's one of the better audio bargains out there right now.[/QUOTE]

That's what I wanted to hear! I've read and really enjoyed your review of the HRDB -- did you spend much time listening to single-ended? I figure that with my current setup, barring the HD650s, that's how I'll be using it half the time.

thanks again and best,

o

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

That's what I wanted to hear! I've read and really enjoyed your review of the HRDB -- did you spend much time listening to single-ended? I figure that with my current setup, barring the HD650s, that's how I'll be using it half the time.

I can't say that I did but I've also spent time with the regular desktop amp and Headroom electronics in general to know that it'll sound pretty darn good in SE mode as well. And it's pretty likely that some of your existing headphones could simply be reterminated rather than recabled. You should be able to find someone willing to do that service for a reasonable fee.

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 30
Just to add to the overall appreciation and enthusiasm about said amp and dac I'd like to add that the sound is almost three dimensional while still remaining natural. Balancing your 650s bring them to a whole other level. Do not hessitate for a moment! Enjoy!

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say that I did but I've also spent time with the regular desktop amp and Headroom electronics in general to know that it'll sound pretty darn good in SE mode as well. And it's pretty likely that some of your existing headphones could simply be reterminated rather than recabled. You should be able to find someone willing to do that service for a reasonable fee.

Thanks again -- I'll look into that for the DX1000s, since they already have what looks like an excellent cable. I don't think I'll bother balancing the RS1s, since mine are a vintage set and I love the sound as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to the overall appreciation and enthusiasm about said amp and dac I'd like to add that the sound is almost three dimensional while still remaining natural. Balancing your 650s bring them to a whole other level. Do not hessitate for a moment! Enjoy!

No hesitation here -- order to be placed tomorrow at nine o' clock sharp!!! Then I'll go get that third job...

thanks all for your input and best,

o

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

4. Can I use the Desktop as a variable-output DAC into my speaker amp?

there is nothing but inputs on the back of the Balanced Desktop Amp. the only outputs are the headphone outputs on the front.

one of the features the SE Desktop has over the Balanced..

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is nothing but inputs on the back of the Balanced Desktop Amp. the only outputs are the headphone outputs on the front.

one of the features the SE Desktop has over the Balanced..

Nooooooooooooo!!!! That's one of the thing that's making me a little crazy with this decision -- my perfect amp would be a fusion of the Desktop SE and Bal., with the SE's ability to be upgraded to Max Modules and the brightness control, line outs on the back and the Balanced version's er, balanced-ness. At any rate, I think I'll be ordering the DAC-less version, since I'm short on cash and have Rega Saturn kicking round the house. Then I'll upgrade it later for the difference once I've bought that year's supply of diapers.

best,

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back