Go in the ear or on the head? :)
Sep 22, 2004 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiya guys and gals,

I have been listening to my Rio Karma in disbelief because my crappy sony headphones can't produce the sound quality I want.

I will be using the mp3 player just for going around campus.

Should I go in the ear with the Shure E2cs or go on the head with the Grado SR60s or the PX100 Sennheisers?

The reason I ask is becasue I have never put on a canalphone before, and I always had trouble putting the iPod earbuds on. Will the E2cs be a more comfortable fit? It doesn't REALLY matter if the isolation is good or not. It is much more important that the sound doesn't leak, so that I don't disturb others. I also want to make sure my friends don't think I'm a "loser" for listening to "that crappy classic rock stuff".
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

So, to make things short, is there an apparent difference between owning a pair of isolation canalphones over a SR60 or PX100? Will the sound quality be considerably worse on one or the other? Will isolation headphones have a better fit than those god-awful earbuds?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, for one thing, the SR60 will leak sound so that is not what you want. I dunno if you know but the px100 are pretty good for their value while the e2c gets mixed reviews.

Canalphones are not for everyone. If you don't like the ibuds at all, I would guess the canalphones would freak you out too. This is of course, unless you just thought the ibuds were really uncomfortable. The canalphones are a different experience altogether. To some, they are excellent and very comfortable. I think you will get superior sound in contrast to the other headphones you mentioned. The isolation lets you hear a lot of other things that the other phones wouldn't let you hear in any populous or public area.

In this case, I'd recommend the e2c if you have 60 to 90 dollars to spend on headphones. The px100s are still great phones for the couple of bucks
icon10.gif
it is for them. I'd say go with the e2c. They are easily resellable on this website too. So if you don't like them, recoup your losses and try something like the less expensive px100s.

I'm recommending this for you but I don't know what kind of music you tend to listen to and if you care too much about audio quality vs. portability.

I wouldn't mind getting both the sr60/80 and the px100s either
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Sorry about your wallet.

Sep 22, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 8
If you want to avoid leakage, run from Grado's as fast as possible. I like to think of it as musical enlightenment for the untamed Linkin Park beasts who run rampant through the streets, but that's just me.

As far as comfort goes, nobody can tell you how they'll feel for you. As CamelBack says, you can always get the E2c, see if you like it, and if you don't, resell them to us (I'm sure you'll have a very thankful audiophile if you do) and buy the PX100's. Good luck finding the right phones for you.

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Why are they worse for your health? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
There are lots of reasons to avoid earbuds. Fact is they're just not the best for your ears in terms of health! Go with headphones.

--Illah

Sep 22, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic
Why are they worse for your health? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Well, if you don't clean canalphones on a regular basis, you are multiplying the risk of incurring in infections of the inner ear.

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, the problem is that I could never get the ibuds to fit, and thus they were very uncomfortable.

Canalphones would be good if they would be able to fit, right?

Anywho - earbuds are different because they don't go IN the ear as much as canalphones - will I have a pretty successful time getting these to fit?

If so, then the E2cs are definitely what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back