Go for an Arietta?
Sep 26, 2007 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
So, the question is - should I get the Meier Arietta?

Current system: E-MU 0404 USB ---> Sennheiser HD595

It would be my first dedicated headphone amp and, from what I've read, it seems like quite a nice bang for the buck. But there is one thing - will it actually be quite a deal better than the built-in amp of the 0404 USB? Maybe there are some better options for the price point of around 200 EUR (I can go a bit higher if needed, but it must be worth it though)? The built-in crossfeed seems like an interesting thing to try out, too.

Also, I know that HD595s don't need much power, but I'm considering getting the amp for a K701 or DT880, or similar because, if everything goes as planned (*touch wood*), I might be getting one of them.

It will be used at home so portability is unneeded. Oh, and maybe no tube suggestions, don't want to deal with those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 11
I have 595s and an Arietta and IMO I feel that the 595's don't respond much better through the amp. On the other hand my D2000's deliver all kinds of goods though this baby....so I guess if you get this amp you will do what I did and get another pair of cans.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I gues I worded it a bit wrong - I know that the amp won't improve HD595 much (if at all), I need it for my future purchases (along the lines of K701, DT880).

What about X-Can V3?

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 11
That would really depend on your setup. I like my Senn HD580 better connected to my Canamp than Arietta. In my opinion, the Arietta will sound better with brighter sounding cans like the Grado's. Different sources will make the amp sound different on the same headphone too, so yeah depends on your setup. If your setup isn't warm the Arietta might be a good match.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 11
I don't really know if it's warm or not as I have no idea how "warm" sounds :x But I'm a noob, so that's ok. Say, how would you compare the Arietta and, lets say, Canamp to the X-Can V3? You seem to have heard it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 11
the X-Can V3 I had sounded pretty good, mids where silky smooth, highs where natural sounding, but the bass, I didn't like it at all. It sounded smudgy and big with little definition, compared to my other amps. I sold it the week I got it. The X-Can V3 can be modded though, so that could be a significant upgrade to the sound. Also I was using copper cables with my X-Can V3, now I use Silver cables. With my current setup, silver gives the bass more definition and clarity, copper doesn't. So yeah, I don't know if Silver cables + X-Can V3 balances the bass bloat, never heard the combo before.

The Arietta vs Canamp is like warm(more decay in sound) vs warm + a bit analytical. I wish I kept my SR225 so I could use it with my Arietta, but I know my Arietta does not pair well with my Senn hd580. My guess is that it would have paired very well with my more aggressive Grado I used to own.

You cannot really say one amp is better than the other, until you have heard it on your setup. Sorry to confuse you, but this is what I have learned from the few amps I have owned.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 11
I use my Arietta with my D2000's. The Meier sound is usually neutral, which allows the headphones to show their character more clearly, rather than colouring the sound before it gets to the drivers. It comes down to a matter of preference... personally I still love my little Arietta.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Based on Skylab's recent review of the Meier amp line amp, the Arietta appears to be quite the value buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back