Go Custom ! Yeah or Nah ?
Apr 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

efib

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, being here I was jealous of all the customs I saw but couldn't have cause I couldn't find someone to do ear impressions , audiologist didn't know what that was, anyway after a member´s recommendation I found someone who can make my my molds and I was super happy, now there is the problem, when you changed from universal to custom were you happy? Did you like having a big mass all over your ear ? Fitting issues apart, do you think that I have to make the big step and go custom ?
Looking forward to your replies !

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey everyone, being here I was jealous of all the customs I saw but couldn't have cause I couldn't find someone to do ear impressions , audiologist didn't know what that was, anyway after a member´s recommendation I found someone who can make my my molds and I was super happy, now there is the problem, when you changed from universal to custom were you happy? Did you like having a big mass all over your ear ? Fitting issues apart, do you think that I have to make the big step and go custom ?
Looking forward to your replies !
I wore universals for many years and recently went to customs...Best decision I've made in terms of music enjoyment. Unlike some folks, I never really had a problem with getting a good fit with universals so I didn't go to custom to solve a fit problem. But now with CIEM, I understand how different it is. I would not go back to universals unless for a backup pair. My opinion is that the greater the investment in earphones the more custom makes sense. Also, listening to a universal version of a CIEM doesn't present the full quality of its sound until perfectly molded to your ears. In other words, the demo sounded really good, but the final custom product sounded EXCELLENT. if you demo a universal and buy the universal, there's no additional enhancement that comes from the superior fit/isolation you get from a perfectly fitting CIEM.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 10
I wore universals for many years and recently went to customs...Best decision I've made in terms of music enjoyment. Unlike some folks, I never really had a problem with getting a good fit with universals so I didn't go to custom to solve a fit problem. But now with CIEM, I understand how different it is. I would not go back to universals unless for a backup pair. My opinion is that the greater the investment in earphones the more custom makes sense. Also, listening to a universal version of a CIEM doesn't present the full quality of its sound until perfectly molded to your ears. In other words, the demo sounded really good, but the final custom product sounded EXCELLENT. if you demo a universal and buy the universal, there's no additional enhancement that comes from the superior fit/isolation you get from a perfectly fitting CIEM.

Very thorough and you make the decision for me :) one question, do you like the acrylic shell on your ear or it's weird ? Maybe it was weird at the beginning but then you got used to it?

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Very thorough and you make the decision for me :) one question, do you like the acrylic shell on your ear or it's weird ? Maybe it was weird at the beginning but then you got used to it?
They don't really fit "on" your ear as much as they press "into" the shape of your ear, sorta like a puzzle piece. Mine are very comfortable. I've slept with them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back