Go Cubbies!!!
Sep 28, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 70
The Cubs have the most attendance with the smallest stadium in the National League
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon (cub fan, originally from Chicago)

Sep 28, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Not to dull the love for the Cubs and their accomplishments this year, but don't forget they were in the playoffs in '98.

They were in the playoffs as a wild card team, and that was only after winning a one-game wild card play-in game against the Giants.

The last time they won their division was in 1989 (got swept by the Braves in playoffs).

This was the first time since the 30s, I think, that they clinched at home. It was also the first time in Wrigley Field history that the Cubs clinched at Wrigley on the last weekend of play.

Sep 28, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 70
Winning the division doesn't really mean anything now, since the wildcard was introduced. If you're in, you're in.

But it is cool that the Cub fans got to see their team win and celebrate with them. Good for them, it's always fun.

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 70
It's game seven of the world series. The two teams are the boston red sox and the chicago cubs. The inning is the ninth. The score is 1-0 red sox. The count is 3 and 2. The pitcher is Pedro, the hitter is Sammy Sosa. The bases are loaded. The pitch.....

STRIKE 3. BLEW IT BY HIM AT 96 MPH. THE FENWAY PARK CROWD GOES WILD.

Sep 29, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 70
I didn't know you were a Cubs fan, Mac!

In any case, it was quite the picture perfect end to the regular season. The Cubs played well, that they did ('cept for that last game against the Reds... relief pitching, oy). To make things even better, the teams they played against played pretty poorly... which does makes me worry about facing the more competent Braves. I wouldn't have been able to watch the games if I weren't back in Evanston right now. Too bad I couldn't score tickets =)

Oh, and in the 1989 playoffs, the Cubbies lost the NL title series to the Giants, 4-1. I remember the day the Giants took it from us. I hated Will Clark with a passion and summarily tore up my friend's grade-school folder sporting his picture on it. I do believe it was an Andre Dawson pop-up with the bases loaded that ended the series. Broke my little 3rd grader heart, it did.

The only other times I can remember feeling that much emotion due to sports was when Ryne Sandberg announced his retirement (he was my boyhood hero), MJ and the Bulls won the first of 6 championships, and everytime the Bulls lost a game during their beautiful 72-10 season (I just wanted perfection out of them because they were so dominant, and I always felt angry and frustrated when they lost -- yes yes, I was a whiny baby). The 1985 Bears superbowl championship would make the list, but I was too young and not into sports yet to really remember it.

Sep 29, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Oh, and in the 1989 playoffs, the Cubbies lost the NL title series to the Giants, 4-1.

That's right! I guess I'm getting old
wink.gif
The Giants then played the As in the Series. Sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The only other times I can remember feeling that much emotion due to sports was when Ryne Sandberg announced his retirement (he was my boyhood hero), MJ and the Bulls won the first of 6 championships, and everytime the Bulls lost a game during their beautiful 72-10 season (I just wanted perfection out of them because they were so dominant, and I always felt angry and frustrated when they lost -- yes yes, I was a whiny baby). The 1985 Bears superbowl championship would make the list, but I was too young and not into sports yet to really remember it.

Ah, see, I was a HUGE bears fan in '85, and even bought the "Superbowl Shuffle:
wink.gif

But obviously you weren't old enough in '84 then, either, to experience the heartbreak of being up on the Padres and then having them win three in a row to take the series
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
It's game seven of the world series. The two teams are the boston red sox and the chicago cubs. The inning is the ninth. The score is 1-0 red sox. The count is 3 and 2. The pitcher is Pedro, the hitter is Sammy Sosa. The bases are loaded. The pitch.....

Fantasy baseball is great, isn't it?
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro

Lets hope it Pedro, and not BK
eek.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #25 of 70
The Cubbies are coming back to their so-called "Friendly Confines", with the series with Atlanta tied at 1-1.

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #27 of 70
The Cubbies beat the Atlanta Braves in Game 5 of the NL divisional series, 5-1. The Cubbies won the series, 3-2.

So, it will be the Cubbies vs. the Florida Marlins in the NLCS.
eek.gif

In the AL divisional series, the NY Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins, 3-1. The series between the Boston Red Sox and the Oakland Athletics is tied at 2-2, going back to Oakland for Game 5.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #28 of 70
I'm still not sure it really happened...

Did the Cubs really just beat Atlanta to move on to the NLCS? Did I just see that?

Did Atlanta really not come back and win the game? Is it really true?

I'm... well... not really sure how to feel about this. The Cubs have never won a playoff series in my lifetime. They've disappointed me many, many times, but never actually won a playoff series. Nor in my parent's lifetime. Not even in my grandparent's lifetime. So forgive us Cubs fans if we're a bit stunned right now...

P.S. Having been on the losing end of so many games and series, I actually felt bad for Atlanta today. Especially considering how many times they've won their division and come up empty.

P.P.S. I can't believe the ump called Lofton's catch a "trap." It was clearly a good catch, and it probably would have been a triple play!!! At the very least the game should have been a shutout.

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 70
No crap MacDef! I'm in disbelief myself!

That 'trap' by Lofton - agreed, no question, fair catch. Shoulda been a shut-out.

I really hope they go all the way this year! So many die-hard cubs fans in my family, and none of 'em ever get any glory.

-dd3mon

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #30 of 70
I am quite elated and stunned as well. I don't think Cub fans quite know how to react to victory, but it sure does feel good. Next up: Marlins.

There is no spite in me for the Braves as an organization, but there is a lot of spite in me for Robert Fick. His demeanor just screams "little ***hole" and his intentional hand taking out Karros' glove was inexcusable. An apology at the press conference would have at least shown some sort of humanity on his part. What a dirty player. I hope he gets a very expensive call from the league office in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back