Gmail going semi-public?
Feb 2, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 27
David Pogue had an article on the Times a while ago about this. And that's where I got the idea that Google might choose to stick to this business model.

Check out NY Times

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Well, many forum software apps use a generated image showing a code number for that reason. No need really for invitations for that.

There are many ways to make generated images a non-issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
EDIT: just realized I don't really get your point either. Keep bots from generating email addresses - yes. But spambots?

The email addresses generated are used for sending spam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
yeah i still don`t get it.........i thought that spambots randomize everything for the @ until they get hits.....or what?

The sort of randomization you are talking about occurs when the spambot is attempting to locate an active receiving address. My post was more directed at the creation of accounts used to send spam. Talonz summarized it nicely.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
not close. whens the last time you got a spam mail from a public account? they can easily prevent bulk mailing by placing mailing rate limits.

Actually, I just got one this morning from a Yahoo account. I guess that means placing mailing rate limits isn't working...?

Quote:

google is doing this invitation for any reason.. other than that

I agree that there are other reasons, and should point out that I never did state otherwise. I was merely explaining what aeriyn probably meant by her reference to spambots since a few other members were confused by the idea.

EDIT: Perhaps I should make my intention of explaination clear before I am backed into a corner -- edit above coming your way
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Actually, I just got one this morning from a Yahoo account. I guess that means placing mailing rate limits isn't working...?

no, it means that the spammer used an alias, and that the mail originated from and through other servers (can be verified through full header messages).

placing a limit on account availability is the crudest, most inefficient, way to control spam... especially when the company is google who have god-knows-how-many brainpower behind them for better algorithms

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

no, it means that the spammer used an alias, and that the mail originated from and through other servers (can be verified through full header messages).

I just checked, the full header traces the email back to Yahoo.

Quote:

placing a limit on account availability is the crudest, most inefficient, way to control spam... especially when the company is google who have god-knows-how-many brainpower behind them for better algorithms

Well, I hope they start making good use of that brainpower because I've been getting spam in my Gmail account and I really do wish it would stop
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Well, I hope they start making good use of that brainpower because I've been getting spam in my Gmail account and I really do wish it would stop
frown.gif

Thats interesting...I have had my Gmail account since sometime in June. I have gotten a fair amount of spam, but it has all been automatically been sent to the junk mail folder. Nothing wrong has been sent and all spam has been caught.

Feb 3, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Thats interesting...I have had my Gmail account since sometime in June. I have gotten a fair amount of spam, but it has all been automatically been sent to the junk mail folder. Nothing wrong has been sent and all spam has been caught.

Yeah, it's strange, I have friends with Gmail accounts that are clean, and others that get bombarded daily with spam -- spam that somehow make it past Google's filters and wind up in their inboxes.

Feb 3, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 27
Perhaps that has to do with how careful they are with giving out their email addresses. Some people don't think twice before putting down their email addresses, even when the website looks dodgy. Also, mail-forwarders (jokes, health info, blah blah) are more prone to have their addresses collected by spammers (along with their full name). If an email has your email address and name right, then it's going to pass through any spam filter unless it contains words that will trigger the content filter (p o r n, free r o l e x es, etc).

On average, I get almost one hundred spam a day because I forward two ISP email accounts to my Gmail. At most one or two of them make it into my inbox. Besides the Mac OS X Mail I haven't seen an email client more efficient at sorting out spams.

Feb 3, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 27
I use Mail.com, and I have never gotten a single piece of spam. Ever.

Of course, I never put my e-mail address on a forum or whatever in the proper format, so maybe the bots looking for e-mail addies to hit just can't understand mine.

Feb 3, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 27
Not a problem JRjr.
smily_headphones1.gif
If anyone else needs an account just PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back