GM 8.35D: Need help changing 90º Jack with Straight
May 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LastQuestion

New Head-Fier
So, I found that the 8.35D is just what I need, except for the 90º multi-jack. So, I figured, how hard can it be to just change out the jack? Not that I've ever done anything like this, but stripping some wires and soldering some contacts doesn't seem like it's all that complex. I can learn, and would prefer to learn from those who know what to do. A few hours of Google would probably bring me to the 'right' guide, so, while a direct link to a guide would be helpful, my primary concern doesn't pertain to that. What I want to know is really quite simple, where do I buy headphone jacks? Or, jacks that are worth using but still affordable. Personally, I would prefer something like what audio-technica use's on the AD700s I have. It seems, perfect. It's a 2.5mm jack which has a 6.3mm jack screw on top of it. I presume this is a 'multi-jack', right? I'd also like to know what kind of shrinkwrap I should buy.

To be clear, the foam mod for HD555s is the extent of my experience with headphone modifications, so, ya, that 90º jack is really so troublesome for my setup that I feel compelled to do this. Any advise is welcome.

May 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Try http://www.lunashops.com they have lots of Jack's in all sizes.

You will need a meter to see which wire goes to which connector. Then just chop off the old one. Strip back the jacket. Strip and tin the new ends, solder to the appropriate connectors. Very Easy.

Most of the jacks have a strain relief for the jacket to crimp into. Most time you will need no shrink tube. On mobile so sorry if its terse and all run together.

Good luck with the change!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 3
It's good to see someone confirm that this is pretty simple to do. I didn't see any jacks on that site which seem like what I want. I ran across another thread which used a Viablue connector which is more like what I want. It doesn't have to be that good, or expensive. I'm honestly hoping I can find a multi-jack like those on my AD700s, but I'll take what I can get so long as it doesn't hamper performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back