Glob of solder a bad thing?
Apr 7, 2004 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
I built some replacement cables for my Klipsch Promedia 4.1's. On one of the plugs, there was a decently large glob of solder. Is this a bad thing?

Also, i didn't do any soldering with the pin terminators, just crimping. Any opinions?

Well, here's what they finished product looks like:

cable.jpg

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, as long as there is physical contact between the two part, the excess solder should be OK, otherwise you could get a "cold" sodler joint there. I would use a bit of solder just for insurance where you crimped. You already have a good physical noint there.

Nice cables, what kind of glue did you use for the "Y" strain relief part near the pin connectors?

-Ed

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 15
A "glob" of solder is never a good thing but that's not to say it won't "work". There are two main problems with a glob:

1) It may be prone to shorts (nearby component or etch traces)
2) It's hard to tell if the solder joint is a good one or not.

If the solder blob is shiney it "may" be an okay connection. If it is not, you should deffinately do it over. The best solder joints are the ones you can still see the shape of the wire through the solder. That's all the solder that's needed.

Nice looking cables.

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Nice cables, what kind of glue did you use for the "Y" strain relief part near the pin connectors?

Glue? I used heatshrink only.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood

I'm struggleing with exactly this problem. I did a little test:

Took a little piece of cable, put on some techflex, and then in one end I put on some heat shrink and let a bit of it extent past the end of the cable. After I was done I started to pull at the heat shrink, and it came right off
frown.gif

This means that in the Y-connection all the strain goes through the tiny wires!

I'm currently experimenting with different kinds of glue, but nothing will stick to that damn heat shrink and the techflex is extremely smooth too
frown.gif

Any suggestions would be nice!

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for thread napping. I dont have anything new to add regarding the glob.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 15
tiny wires? i dunno about you, but i have 64 strand copper wire, with thick rubber around it. Doesn't seem like the strain is much of a problem... am i confused?

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 15
Well I bought a four conductor cable, and each of those four wires aren't that thick. I dont like them taking the strain. I'm building a cable for portable use so thats why I'm not making it extremety thick - want some flexibility. Maybe I should have used some thicker wire after all...

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jboehle
Hot glue. coat the Y junction w/ the TechFlex in place with hot glue. Slide the heatshrink up over it, shrink it up. Clean up any excess glue. Works like a charm!

Sounds good, I may even have some. Have you tested the breaking force for this glue, i.e. how well does it stick to the heat shrink and techflex?

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Instead, you can use adhesive-lined heatshrink. When you heat it, the glue melts and seals up when it cools. It costs a bit more, but it's well worth it.

Apr 7, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Instead, you can use adhesive-lined heatshrink. When you heat it, the glue melts and seals up when it cools. It costs a bit more, but it's well worth it.

Now you're talking - didn't even know you could get it with glue. Next problem is finding out where to get it in my area...

Thanks, fiddler, you might want to post this tip in the DIY cable thread.

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 15
Try cableorganizer.com for adhesive heat shrink. Great service, fast shipping, reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back