GLite, Canamp with gain setting?
Mar 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drxpert

Head-Fier
I have a budget of around 400 for a home amp and I've been looking at the Heed Canamp and GLite. My concern is that I need a gain switch for use with my etys and beyers, something that doesn't seem to be available on those 2 amps. Would the hornet be comparable in performance with these home amps? Or would Justin be able to install a gain switch in the GLite?

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 10
I think with the Etys the Hornet is absolutely comparable to the Canamp and GLite but with your Beyers they would be a better choice imo. But my HD650 sounds really good with the hornet @high gain and it has fantastic synergy with my UM2s, so if you want to use it with both headphones the hornet is a good choice and you can use it on the way.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just adjust the volume pot to compensate?

I listen at low volumes and my ears are very sensitive to channel imbalance. With just one gain setting my etys might become unlistenable
frown.gif
, which is the case with my LD2+ now.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm listening to the GLite with the pot at 1st notch position using my A700s, about seven o'clock, and I detect no channel imbalance. Channel balance seems the same as I slowly raise the volume..

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to the GLite with the pot at 1st notch position using my A700s, about seven o'clock, and I detect no channel imbalance. Channel balance seems the same as I slowly raise the volume..

x2, never noticed any channel imbalance on GLite with high or low impedance headphones.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Andrew, in your experience does the GLite with dps really come close to the performance of a GS-1? With the DACT, your GS-1 costs twice the GLite setup, and I'm curious about your usage frequency of both amps. When I got my LD2+ I found it hard to switch on my Supermini anymore.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 10
It might be ~90% of GS-1 if that's measurable.
The difference is quite marginal, but noticeable.
First of all it's better positioning and more expansive sound stage, I would blame that on DACT. And what I cannot explain, somehow GS-1 manages to sounds a tad warmer.
I use them both equally, GS-1 in home and GLite in office setup.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 10
AFAIK, the GL can't be customized to be outfitted with a gain switch. I looked up the impedance rating for your ER4P and it's only 24 Ohms, so I think you should go with a battery-powered amp instead, as the Heed has a large gain setting (11x) and the GL doesn't really comfortably power <=24 Ohm headphones either (gets too loud too early). Hornet should be fine, but you might want to wait for the HeadAmp AE-2 as well, which is going to include a 3-way gain switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back