'Glenn Miller & His Orchestra' - Music CDs??
Apr 7, 2013 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any good recordings alive of 'Glenn Miller & His Orchestra'? I love his music, and while I'm sure his Vinyl releases sound awesome, I've yet to obtain a Vinyl setup currently. Though even then, do recommend a Vinyl LP as then I would know what to get when I get a turntable as well.
wink.gif

Still, at the moment I am searching for a good CD release..

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 30
I guess no one around here listens to big band. In any case, I do.

This is the one you want. You don't want records. CDs sound much better in this case.
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Years-1938-42-Glenn-Miller/dp/B00005K3N2/

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 30
I had a CD at one time with LITTLE BROWN JUG on it, it was a great recording I've long lost. At one point,before college I sold home and car audio and used it often as a reference track,wish I new what the title was.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 30
You're probably thinking of Billy May. He was Glenn Miller's arranger and he did an album in stereo in the late 50s where he reunited the Miller alumni for a reunion album. He did a killer version of Little Brown Jug.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 30
I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Mood-Glenn-Miller-Orchestra/dp/B0000001PL

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 30
I have that too... and the direct to disk LP. Those performances are kind of tired sounding even if the sound quality is good. Billy May is a lot better. Any Billy May album with "Brass" in the title will blow your socks off. The Sorta May albums are great too.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 30
I shall seek out some of this Billy May!
Thanks!

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 30
This would have been a compilation reference CD released by one of the bigger manufacturers used for demos. would be worth seeing if the album you mentioned is where it came from ,or whether it was a newer recording just for that particular compulation. Big Bands were well before my time,but that recording was something. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 30
http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Essentials-Vol-Billy-Orchestra/dp/B004XTOKW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365478787&sr=8-4&keywords=Billy+may

Billy May's trademark was the "slurping saxes". That scooping the note from below and sliding up to it.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:
I guess no one around here listens to big band. In any case, I do.

This is the one you want. You don't want records. CDs sound much better in this case.
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Years-1938-42-Glenn-Miller/dp/B00005K3N2/

great compilation, thanks for the tip! For the folks who use spotify here is a link to it
http://open.spotify.com/user/119420829/playlist/0Rrf8trzioZm1IraaVZpnd

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 30
I'm a big fan of big band music from that era.

Unfortunately, his recordings pre-date tape, and the shellac masters of his recordings have been played to death in making copies over the years. Tape transfers were made in the 1950's, and it was the source for a great majority of the albums issued after the 1950's. His AAF recording have the best sound quality followed by his BlueBird/RCA Recordings. Original mint shellac pressings sound VERY, VERY good if you're into tracking them down, transferring them and restoring them.

This set, is complete, and has great sound quality IMHO.

The CDs of The Lost Recordings & The Secret Broadcasts are evidently sourced from 16" 33 1/3rpm discs made during his time in military service and have EXCELLENT sound quality. Whoever mastered and restored these did so with great skill, care, and love.
wink_face.gif

For those just curious, I highly recommend this one.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 30
Not everything Glenn Miller recorded was of the same quality. There was a lot of filler in there. The hits are what most people would want.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:
Not everything Glenn Miller recorded was of the same quality. There was a lot of filler in there. The hits are what most people would want.

That was my point...not everything will sound great.

If someone wants hits...just get the last one I linked to.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 30
I meant peformances, not sound quality. Glenn Miller had some great hits, but he also put out plenty of musical popcorn peanuts.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:
I meant peformances, not sound quality. Glenn Miller had some great hits, but he also put out plenty of musical popcorn peanuts.

Most stuff available are in a poor sound quality, and I guess asking for stereo would be too much .
So if we could have both "sound quality" & perfomance, that wouldn't be bad.
Although I found some Glenn Miller songs interesting, I just can't stand the dull , muddy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back