Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations
Mar 12, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Schubert's music plays itself, there's no need to imprint one's ego on it.

Excellent point, Dusty.

In college we had Misha Dichter (fairly well-known concert pianist) come in for a master class, and one of the grad students played a Schubert impromptu well, but much too romantically. Dichter said something to the effect of "this isn't a Chopin nocturne. There's no need to force romanticism out of it, just play."

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 23
say what you want about gould's idiosyncrasies, his interpretation of the goldberg's aria is unmatched, especially in the later recording.

bach also did not make any tempo or dynamic marks in his music, so it is open to interpretation. and if you compare gould's playing to a bach scholar like ton koopman, gould hasn't even begun to take liberties with the music.

Mar 13, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 23
This is like tubes vs. solid state*: solid state is more accurate, but some people think the slight inaccuracies of tubes are much more musical.

*I can't believe that I am making audiophile analogies....

Mar 13, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 23
The later Goldberg variations SACD by Gould was one of the first classical discs I bought. I'm a rock fan and have only recently branched out into classical. Of the ten or so classical cds I own, this is the one that I connected with right away. I don't care for the humming, but the playing is amazing. Spellbinding in fact.

I watched a movie about Gould and did some reading on him and he turns out to have been quite the eccentric. Interesting fellow. Obviously a genius.

markl

Mar 13, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 23
gould's life was almost as interesting as his playing. when he played he often screwed his piano stool so far down he was nose to keys. he also liked to play in fingerless gloves. see "32 short films about glenn gould" for more about him.

Mar 13, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #21 of 23
markl ... since you seem to have experience and support SACD format.... I have this question in my mind about the format... Is the format aiming for surround 5.1 channel or is more to stereo. I have always feel that the format is more about surround sound... hence for stereo setup or headphones .. it won't do any good or different for red book is very subtle... I once order the Sony DVD/SACD player but finally cancelled it.. because I don't want to invest in surround and center.. (Well actually .. my girlfriend was against it.... take too much living space.. :b ) However, I am always feel tempting.

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 23
The new formats have something to offer everyone, even us headphone buffs who have 2-channel systems.

Think of it this way: can your ears tell the difference between a CD released in mid-80's and a newly (1998-now) remastered version of the same recording? I should hope you answer "yes". Going from a modern high-quality CD to an SACD/DVD-A provides a similar and comparable leap in fidelity. Just think where this technology will be in 20 years time? Boggles the mind.

On the other hand, I have a very nice multi-channel HT set-up. The future of music IS multi-channel. 5 channels of ultra-high bandwidth signals reproduce music with such fidelity, it will make your head swim.

Multi-channel is NOT a gimmick when it's done right. Audiofools complained about the advent of friggin' STEREO because it was a "gimmick" Listen to early stereo recordings and they may have a point. It will take time for engineers to figure out what sound good in surround.

markl

Mar 13, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 23
I hope my answer to your question is "yes" also even though I have never do A/B comparison between old and remastered CD ever. I tend to try not to do that. I want to spend money on exploring what I have never listen before "musically" not "technically". I do believe thogh that remastered have somethings new to offer but may be if my music library expand enough or my feeling of explore new musician subside... I might try to get better version of my old CDs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Giving information about SACD from you... it is quite interesting. I wouldn't say anything more until I can hear the difference. I was just get rid of my HT setup so... it will be a while before I can experience the greatness of surround. ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back