Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations
Mar 8, 2002 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone else own this incredible cd? I just bought it today based on a recommendation from my music teacher. Man oh man, can this guy play the piano or what? Just one question. Are all the variations here based on the ONE orginal exercise from Bach played at the beginning? Or are there more Bach originals that Gould made variations of?

Bottom line: Great cd.

Mar 8, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 23
The variations are all by Bach and all derived from that first theme. Gould is only playing them, but "only playing" is almost unfair considering how well he does that. For a completely different way of looking at these variations, you can try one of the harpsichord versions, which use an instrument that was available to Bach. If you like the idea of keyboard variations, you can also try Beethoven's Diabelli and Eroica variations. Gould plays these too.

Mar 8, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 23
I don't mean to change the subject. However, I have the CD version 1955 recording. Can any one comment on the other recording on these variations by Gould? I might be wrong but I think I have read somewhere that later he recorded it again maybe 1981. Last weekend I tried to check it out. It is Sony version which as 1955 picture and 1981 pictures of Gould. Just don't know if that CD is of different version than 1955 recording.. Or when we talk about Gould Bach Bradenberg variations.. it always be 1955.

Comments?

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 23
See also the Fifth Element in the March 2002 Stereophile:

Here is the (not quite representative) summary from the Stereophile website:

The Fifth Element
John Marks reminds us to be "careful what you pray for" as he explores an eerily revealing SACD remaster of Gould's Goldberg Variations Ñ there's more in the background than just humming.

Legoman

Mar 9, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 23
I have this cd and the amazing laserdisc. However, Glenn Gould's humming is very annoying. How does everyone else tolerate this?

Mar 9, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 23
nattapong,
i have both the 1950's and 1980's versions of gould's goldbergs (on vinyl and cd--i also have many other gould recordings). the 1950's version is very fast and showy, while the 80's version is slower, more introspective and idiosyncratic. also, the 1950's version is mono and the newer, of course, stereo. gould hums on both versions, and all his piano playing. it doesn't bother me in the least, all the great pianists sing along. check out his recording of bach's french suites. gould's unusual style of playing was an attempt by him to simulate the staccato sound of the harpsichord on the piano. he also had a strange attachment to a certain steinway (with a slight hiccup) and played only it.

Mar 9, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 23
Hmm, finally something in discussion that I might be able to get a hand on... I think my mom owns these ones. She prefers strings over piano though, so these don't get played much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 23
At first, Gould's humming, foot tapping, rocking on his chair and other extraneous noises bothered me, but now his idiosyncrasies somehow draw me into the experience... the performance feels very personal.

Mar 10, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 23
Gould's humming is like you said ... make me feel "very personal". Like having him play in my living room... not recording where everything have to be perfect. Keith Jarrett on "The Koln Concert" was also "very personal". I made similar comment about his humming & groaning. But now after several of his records, I started to see why people are complaining. Espeacially, standard series... you can hardly hear piano. So Gould... was very mild. Well, may be I have have more of his records (Gould's) before I made this comment but.. I can hardly think anyone can exceed what Keith have done. (Or maybe they intentional record Keith voice)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 23
I much prefer Andras Schiff over Gould. As a classically trained pianist, I can appreciate Gould for his fantastic technique, but that's about it. Although there are no doubt some recordings where he just absolutely shines, his playing is very idiosyncratic and often times his interpretations are obviously way off of the composer's intentions (playing things much faster or much slower than they are intended to be played, etc). One might argue that for some of Bach's music (particularly the Goldberg variations) this could be a good thing as it adds more differing character, but Gould's "uniqueness" never fails to shine through and often gets in the way of the music - at least for me. It seems like we end up listening to Glenn Gould playing the music, rather than just listening to the music, if that makes sense. Try listening to some recordings of Gould playing Mozart sonatas and you should understand my frustrations - great technique, extremely questionable interpretations.

And I don't like the hum/moan/singing thing either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 23
adamp88 has a good point. I realized that I like Gould play Goldberg variations. Not about the music itself. Also not particularly Gould himself either since I didn't like any of his other CD
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I should also try Schiff .. to experience Goldberg the way it should be. Nevertheless, I think it won't change the fact that I like Gould 1955 Goldberg variations....
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
As a classically trained pianist, I can appreciate Gould for his fantastic technique, but...his playing is very idiosyncratic and often times his interpretations are obviously way off of the composer's intensions...

Thank you! I have the same problem with the Beaux Art Trio's interpretation of Schubert's Piano Trio in E flat (frequently cited in a famous must-have list). It's one of the few interpretations I actually don't like. It's just too romantic and free. Schubert's music plays itself, there's no need to imprint one's ego on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back