Glasses...
Dec 16, 2003 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jtc

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

When I listen to my HD600s with my glasses, I eventually end up with sore ears - I think the pressure of the HD600 pads is pressing my ear into my head, and the legs of my glasses obviously sit between the ear and my head, and over a listening session this causes discomfort.

Other than removing my glasses or contacts or eye surgery or whatever, is there any way I can make the listening experience more comfortable - I don't want to have to take my glasses off every time I listen as I often read or watch tv with the sound off and subtitles on, and need the glasses in those circumstances.

ANyone else have this problem, and any solution? I'm delighted with my HD600s (with Cardas cable, PinkFloyd-modified X-Can v2 (with new volume control, Mullard E88CC, Cerafine caps, chimney/vent modification to casework, custom external PSU)) and don't want to mess with that equation, but can't be doing with this discomfort thing.

John

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 12
how about making a dent/ridge in the pads for the 'arms' (i prefer arms to legs) to slide into...

Then the pressure would be reduced, thus making the experience more comfortable....

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 12
I had no problem with wearing glasses and the HD-600 after a few months of breaking in the pads. Now I find them very comfortable to wear together.

Dec 16, 2003 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Try loosening the headband on the 600 abit. it might not fit as well but that might help cut down the "clamping" sensation.

Dec 16, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
I had no problem with wearing glasses and the HD-600 after a few months of breaking in the pads. Now I find them very comfortable to wear together.

I have the same experience as canman. I have no issues with the HD-600 and eyeglasses but my Grado's give me pains and are constantly having to be re-adjusted. The constant discomfort as well as that huge and heavy cord that's constantly tugging on them may put them on the chopping block (e-bay) soon.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jtc
Hi everyone.

When I listen to my HD600s with my glasses, I eventually end up with sore ears - I think the pressure of the HD600 pads is pressing my ear into my head, and the legs of my glasses obviously sit between the ear and my head, and over a listening session this causes discomfort.

Other than removing my glasses or contacts or eye surgery or whatever, is there any way I can make the listening experience more comfortable - I don't want to have to take my glasses off every time I listen as I often read or watch tv with the sound off and subtitles on, and need the glasses in those circumstances.

ANyone else have this problem, and any solution? I'm delighted with my HD600s (with Cardas cable, PinkFloyd-modified X-Can v2 (with new volume control, Mullard E88CC, Cerafine caps, chimney/vent modification to casework, custom external PSU)) and don't want to mess with that equation, but can't be doing with this discomfort thing.

John

Contact lenses?

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 12
lol @ contact lenses... well, for me personally... I've just resigned myself to not wearing glasses while I listen to music... I put them away in there case... as an idea though... wouldnt supraaural (sp?) headphones be a little more kind to glasses wearers than circumural headphones? I realise that buying new cans isnt really a solution... but for new buyers that might be the way to go... are there any competitive hi-fi supraaural cans out there?

[or I guess if you are going this far already... you might as well get canal phones... hmmm, I dont think this train of thought went to the right stop...
confused.gif
]

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Theresamarie1
I have the same experience as canman. I have no issues with the HD-600 and eyeglasses but my Grado's give me pains and are constantly having to be re-adjusted. The constant discomfort as well as that huge and heavy cord that's constantly tugging on them may put them on the chopping block (e-bay) soon.

I just tilt my glasses so that the legs are above the earpads & longer being pressed on to my earlobes by the headphones. It looks a little silly but hey... I'm willing to go that far to enjoy my RS-1 for a few hours!

Dec 17, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 12
you must have *really* big ears
very_evil_smiley.gif

the one thing i liked about the 580/600 was that the earcups really are circum-aural. the earcups sat against my head and jaw, never resting on the ears. made them comfortable, so long as i was sitting upright. lying down, especially with pillows was impossible. Ety-ER4S is the only solution. but, then you get itchy ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back