Glass desks
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
I know there's a cool desk thread in the computer audio section. But I wanted to ask anyway: What's your opinion of glass desks?

Is reflection or glare a problem?
Too hard to hide wires?
Any other problems?

I'm thinking of buying this one from Crate and Barrel:

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 14
I like mine it was a Sharper Image glass,wood and steel from Office Max they do get finger prints and show dust more but they look great when clean.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 14
I also worry about them breaking if you accidentally drop something on them.

My problem is a cat that comes flying unexpectedly onto my desk with a yowl.

She does that whenever she decides she needs attention. She often knocks things over. But I've got an old mid-century steel "tanker" desk (in metallic mint green, no less :)) that holds up pretty well to flying cats.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 14
When I was in high school, my parents bought a glass and wood desk for me. My mom is a furniture snob so it came from some fancy-pants store. The glass was frosted from underneath so you couldn't see fingerprints unless you bent your head at different angles. Even though the glass was extremely thick, I was still a little hesitant to put too much weight on it. The tricky part was hiding computer wires. My dad used a bunch of cable management things to hide them alongside parts of the desk and its legs.

I think some glass/wood desks look classy and I like the one you have pictured. But, be prepared to invest in some Windex, Pledge, and cable management. Frosted glass will hide fingerprints better, but not completely.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Wonderful Glass desk There are a lot of advantages if you use glass desks for your home office. One of the glass desks furniture benefits are that each top glass desks top has a lovely design and sparkling design with the ability to make friendly to clients and the other visitors and every office clutter-free. Why glass desks always looks better than the other table furniture, because you can find one in a great color or shades and available in different sizes too. article sources : modern glass desk

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 14
Fingerprints aren't my problem; neither are cables as I have braided them all.  The single biggest problem as stupid as this sounds is that you need a mouse pad if you're using an optical/laser mouse.  I hate mice pads.  They're restricting. :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 14
I have had my glass desk for 2 years now and even though I hate the fingerprints I love the desk. I truly love it.

It was cheap, simple and accommodates my HP TouchSmart 25.5" All-in-One, a hard drive, and my Burson HA-160D beautifully.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Fingerprints aren't my problem; neither are cables as I have braided them all.  The single biggest problem as stupid as this sounds is that you need a mouse pad if you're using an optical/laser mouse.  I hate mice pads.  They're restricting. :frowning2:

Get one of those icemat glass pads, I've had mine for years and it's still in great shape.  Plus they are freaken huge so you shouldn't run out of space on it.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Get one of those icemat glass pads, I've had mine for years and it's still in great shape.  Plus they are freaken huge so you shouldn't run out of space on it.

Ah, I take it you're an Icemat V2 user too?

Worth noting for those considering it:

They're now sold under Steel Series Experience I-2
Most laser based mouses (yes, it's a word) won't track it that well.  I've tried various ones and optical tracks better on it repeatedly.
Buy spare teflon mouse feet, just do it.  Glass will wear them down over time.

As for glass desks, it depends.  Get one that is black and glossy (so it's coated underneath).  From there just use Windex to clean.  Never had a problem with glare or anything.  Smudges do show up over time (hence Windex).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back