Giving up on my HE6s, looking for IEM/DAP recommendations in the $400-800 range...
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rdaneel

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start by saying that I love my daughters more than anything in the world.  Anything.

That being said, they have put a serious dent in my ability to listen to music!  Before having kids, I would listen to my stereo pretty much every day.  That changed significantly with a baby in the house, though I am proud that the "real stereo" has led my five year old to like The Black Keys way more than Raffi.  After having our second, in a fit of GAS I purchased the HE-400s, then HE-6s in quick succession, then a series of 50wpc amps to power those beasts.  Unfortunately, the time has come to admit that my HE-6s are nothing but paperweights.  I never have a chance to sit and listen, and being tethered to my source/DAC is a major problem.  I have probably 20 hours on those cans, and its a damn shame.

So, bottom line, I need to downgrade to a portable DAP and IEMs so I can listen to music again.  I strongly considered the HE-400i, but open PM headphones are not going to work in bed.  I think IEMs will offer the unobtrusive listening that I need, and having a DAP rather than my dedicated gear means that I can listen anywhere.

I'm willing to spend in the $400-800 range, which I think covers some good options.  Hifiman RE-600S and Cowon Plenue D?  Should I buy the Hifiman HE650 on sale ($300) and another IEM?  I'm really open to ideas and would love to hear your thoughts!

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 3
My favorite IEMs in your budget are the Audio Technica ATH-IM03.

But the FLC 8S is getting a lot of attention recently on Head-fi. It's very adjustable to fit your preferred sound signature.

The Cowon is an excellent choice for a DAP.

Also the FiiO X5ii or Cayin N5.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 3
In my experience with some of the (many) gears I have tried, you can consider these following gears below (take my suggestions with a grain of salt).

IEMs: FLC8s, Oriveti Primacy, Q Jays 2nd Gen (price can be steep though), Aurisonics Rockets

DAPs: Cowon Plenue D, Ibasso DX80 (have FW issues based on the official thread), Fiio X5 2nd Gen, Fiio X3 2nd Gen, Shanglin M2, Lotoo Paw 5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back