Giving up on audioscrobbler
May 3, 2004 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I have decided to remove this plugin from both winamp and foobar, because, to put it bluntly, its crap.

I dont see why I should be sending statistics about the songs I am playing for all to see, if it cannot do it reliably. It either seems to say I have played a song 10 times, when I have played it once, or as more often the case, hardly picks up any of the songs I played. I think its picked up 1 song out of the whole of the last album I played.

So, I have written it off as being useless, to all intents and purposes.

May 3, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Well, I have decided to remove this plugin from both winamp and foobar, because, to put it bluntly, its crap.

I dont see why I should be sending statistics about the songs I am playing for all to see, if it cannot do it reliably. It either seems to say I have played a song 10 times, when I have played it once, or as more often the case, hardly picks up any of the songs I played. I think its picked up 1 song out of the whole of the last album I played.

So, I have written it off as being useless, to all intents and purposes.

I have noticed the same thing. According to the foobar console the plugin submits successfully every time, but the website takes forever to update and doesn't list all the songs. And then the group music stats no longer work, which makes groups kind of pointless there. They are proposing a subscription service for additional features. Maybe you'll have to subscribe to get a non-fubar'd version of the service?

Another thing that has really ticked me off is that they change the URL for the RSS feed for a user quite often. A plugin I wrote for the e107 CMS that uses that feed, only released a few months ago, is already useless thanks to that. I no longer run e107 on my site, which is what the plugin is for, and don't want to update it just for that.

I'm not giving up on Audioscrobbler yet but it is becoming increasingly useless week by week.

May 3, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Probably as more people discover and use the service I would imagine that the service will get slower and slower unless the owners can work out a different business model.

May 3, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Initially it did seem ok, albeit with a few faults, but lately it has been utter crap to be honest. Its a nice idea, but ultimately, not one I am going to bother with anymore.

May 3, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd suggest using the AMIP wrapper plugin for foobar with cURL, or something equivalent (though I don't know what) for Winamp, writing some simple Perl or PHP script for your website, or getting a free one.

Lots of information o'er here.

The problem with a free service is that tons of people jump on, it gets too popular for its own good, and it flops under its own weight.

May 4, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Initially it did seem ok, albeit with a few faults, but lately it has been utter crap to be honest. Its a nice idea, but ultimately, not one I am going to bother with anymore.

Russ and RJ are working on it. Read this AS forum thread for an explanation of what's going on.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back