Giving up gaming...
Aug 10, 2007 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Headphoneus Supremus
<Sigh>

I dunno if its just me, but at the ripe age of 17 I can't stand gaming anymore.

My parents never really bought me a gaming console so I only got them later (as in when I was 15). Even after I got my consoles I spent more time reading than playing.

I was playing Xenogears (PS1 RPG) and although the story was rather engaging it seemed like I was playing just for the next bit of story and not for the game itself. That's when I realized that reading was more fun then gaming, at least for me.

However there are some exceptions and those are the games I play in a group (like 8+ people).

Goodbye SNES RPGs, Genesis games, PS1/PS2 games, 120GB of stored ISOs and etc...

Although I'll probably keep some of my games... Just the good multiplayer ones for DC and Xbox. Although I'll still have my DOS compy for special needs...

The upside is that now I'll have less distractions for college. But has anyone else felt the same? Maybe I'm not into gaming as much as I thought I was because I was never an avid gamer.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 65
Quitting my proffessional Halo 2 carreer was quite hard on me, no more traveling, late nights teaching/practicing, etc. The exchange though was better grades in school, and overnight skills in skiing for Slalom that brought me from a recreational skiier to top on my team. Of course I still play, but not to the extent that I used to play. I still have my skills, but never get to use them to their full extent.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 65
Win a competition, I suppose the same way that one becomes a professional poker player or anything as such.

I've noticed myself losing interest, but I think it's as much to do with a glut of truly mediocre and entirely un-inventive games lately. Quick trip on memory lane to the tune of Planescape Torment and System Shock 2 reminds me why I love the medium.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta ask... How does one become a professional video gamer?

(just curious)

High level of skill in teamwork, being able to make practice games/finding ways to get into such games (this gets you alot of attention from the lower competative field), winning events or placing high at events. With skill you can make money from tournaments, sponsors, lessons, and other small things. I made well over $2k last summer before I quit.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 65
i've lost a lot of my interest in gaming as well. i still enjoy a game or two from time to time... and sometimes i go through phases where i'll pick up an old game and play it for a while.

but i'm definitely not like i was in late middle school and early high school... playing games for hours on end day after day with my friends (mainly a PC gamer here).

i don't see myself putting down gaming permanently for a long time coming though. it's a good way to relieve boredom sometimes when you can't/don't want to go out all the time. and my wii sure is great for groups of people
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 65
I still love gaming, I'm just more picky about what games I play. I just finished Metal Gear Solid 3 and loved every second of it. Sneaking around and using CQC on guards was a lot of fun, and the story and cinematography were excellent.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 65
does not give it up completely. Used to game around 12 hours a day during high school and halfway through college. Now it's just the occasional DOTA or CS heh.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 65
I'll take your 120 GB of stored ISOs
biggrin.gif

There was an age (about 17, concidentally) when I was very very much into gaming.

I'm still perfectly capable of spending most of a day playing, but I no longer want to play every single day like when I was 17.

But I'd never give it up, and I'm 24 now
tongue.gif

There's just too much fun to be had in games.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quitting my proffessional Halo 2 carreer was quite hard on me, no more traveling, late nights teaching/practicing, etc. The exchange though was better grades in school, and overnight skills in skiing for Slalom that brought me from a recreational skiier to top on my team. Of course I still play, but not to the extent that I used to play. I still have my skills, but never get to use them to their full extent.

What's your gamertag mate?

Have you ever been to MLG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta ask... How does one become a professional video gamer?

(just curious)

The best Halo 2 players who win MLG events earn a couple of thousand every event (events are once a month-ish). One of the teams is on a million dollar contract with MLG.
eek.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quitting my proffessional Halo 2 carreer was quite hard on me, no more traveling, late nights teaching/practicing, etc. The exchange though was better grades in school, and overnight skills in skiing for Slalom

Meh. Not worth the trade, IMO.
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 65
I lost some of my interest in video games as I don't play as much as I used to.

However, just last night I spent hours playing Rayman Ravaging Rabbits. I highly recommend it. It is almost therapeutic bashing on those bunnies. If you have ever seen what they look like you will realize you can't help but have the urge to want to beat the crap out of them.
smily_headphones1.gif
The game is filled with tons of mini games like a cow toss and a soccer kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back