Giving IEM's Another Try, SoundMagic PL-30 vs ?
Oct 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I got frustrated with IEM's after 2 pairs of marshmallows and one pair of cx300's broke on me. I figured it wasn't worth it to replace them, and ended up getting the koss ksc75 which sound great for the price. I quickly noticed the SoundMagic PL-30 getting very good reviews and comparisons to headphones much more expensive. All this talk is making me want to try IEM's again. I'm a student and I'd like to purchase a pair of iem's under $70 that will last me a while. But if these $20 phones will do just as well as more expensive things, I'd be happy to pay that much. I listen to mostly rock.

To summarize: Should I get the PL30's? If not, why, and what should I get in its place?

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either the PL-30 or a heavily modded Marshmallow (Kramer, Shure Foamies, and etc.).

Thanks for the quick reply! I did the Kramer mod on my Marshmallows both times and the sound was nice, but the cable started tearing on the first one, and the plug just ripped out on the second one. They just sat in my pocket wrapped around my iPod. So I'd prefer not buy the Marshmallow again due to previous experience.

How's the build quality of the PL-30?

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Well, if you don't fool around with the bass knobs too much, they seem like they will hold out. I broke the knobs off after meddling with them too much. I recommend trying both settings and then choosing one and sticking with it. I preferred the "Clear Bass" setting they shipped with as opposed to the "Deep Bass" setting.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you don't fool around with the bass knobs too much, they seem like they will hold out. I broke the knobs off after meddling with them too much. I recommend trying both settings and then choosing one and sticking with it. I preferred the "Clear Bass" setting they shipped with as opposed to the "Deep Bass" setting.

Ah, that's unfortunate that they broke off. I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with bass knobs. Are they just little knobs you switch around to set the bass setting. In terms of sound quality, do they really compete with $100+ phones? Also, how was Focalprice about shipping and customer service?

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes those are the bass knobs I'm referring to. I really do think they compete with much more expensive phones. As far as FocalPrice's service, they have done everything I could have expected. They told me 7-15 days for shipping, and it arrived on day 14.

They also responded when I told them about the broken bass knobs. They are willing to replace them if I send in the broken pair. As a way of quickening the process, I just ordered another pair, and they will refund the purchase price when they receive the broken pair. This way I'll get the new pair in two weeks instead of four.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Yes those are the bass knobs I'm referring to. I really do think they compete with much more expensive phones. As far as FocalPrice's service, they have done everything I could have expected. They told me 7-15 days for shipping, and it arrived on day 14.

They also responded when I told them about the broken bass knobs. They are willing to replace them if I send in the broken pair. As a way of quickening the process, I just ordered another pair, and they will refund the purchase price when they receive the broken pair. This way I'll get the new pair in two weeks instead of four.

Wow.. seems like focalprice is pretty efficient when it comes to customer service. If only they started offering more range and stop all those wierd rip off mobile phones and maybe their reputation might get alot better.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Thank you for all the help. It looks like I'm going to order a pair today. It's good to hear that Focalprice was willing to replace them, and I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Thanks again and have a great weeknd!

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Hate to be the noob, but how can I kramer mod my new Marshmallows to help improve the sound?...I see it mentioned alot but I'm not sure on how to properly remove the paper filer?

And whats this about Shure foamies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back