Give me your Riddim, and I Give you Ska!
Feb 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 16
I was watching TV in 1980 when The Specials did "Gangsters" on Saturday Night Live... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm in.  My first ever concert was The Specials in Swindon, just after the release of More Specials.  After that it was The Selecter, also in Swindon.  One of my best ever concerts was Madness at Irving Plaza, NYC.  Amazing to see them in such a small venue...   

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 16
oh the memories :wink:... I worked with my late uncle providing the PA for Laural Aitken "the godfather of ska" as he lived local, never got tired at his gigs ! so much energy and so many singles this guy was a human dynamo,

Also this documentary has a snippet of Laural in, and is interesting if your from the midlands UK   

SPECTRUM - The History Of Black Music In Leicester 

This is a documentary film that explores Leicester’s black music heritage. WARNING - contains some swearing.

The film was launched as part of Black History Season 2013, at Leicester’s Curve Theatre -
Spectrum tracks the city’s history of ska, soul, disco, reggae, R&B, gospel, drum 'n' bass, hip hop and ‘urban’ over the last 40 years. It covers singers, bands, DJ’s, sound systems, dancers, musicians and record labels, with exclusive interviews from people who were there ‘back in the day’.
Artists interviewed for the film include reggae DJ’s Junior Blues and Skully, singer Carol Leeming, Jazz DJ Tony Minvielle, Producer and entrepreneur DJSS, Classic Groove DJ Collective and soul/ funk band Saquii.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 16
Nice! Stuff :D Glad we got some moment going on this thread ^^

Found a band named Squid 58, good stuff, the mastering is a little flat but let's hope their next album is a little more spaced out! 

Also any one know where I can get some Busters Allstars? 

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Today's recommended album - UB40's "Signing Off"

I listened to it twice today, on the way to work on UE900s, and on the way back on B&W P7s.  Both times it sounded fantastic.  If you can forgive some tape print-through.  Go listen, and remember the good old days before UB40 became a cheesy karaoke covers band.

I think the bass wobbled my head today.  Tomorrow I'm planning on listening to Grace Jones' "Compass Point Sessions" 

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back