give me a reason not to get the MS-1
Nov 8, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
Where can I get a pair of HD414 pads for $7 shipped?

Go to: http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...categ=Cushions

Scroll down til around mid-page, you should see some yellow pads model # H-19545. Last time I check a pair was around $7 shipped. (the pads themselves are less than $4)

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Go to: http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...categ=Cushions

Scroll down til around mid-page, you should see some yellow pads model # H-19545. Last time I check a pair was around $7 shipped. (the pads themselves are less than $4)

I found them. It doesn't really say if the $3.92 price is for only one pad, or a pair. Also, do you recommend I get 2 pairs so I can mod one, and leave the other stock?

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
I found them. It doesn't really say if the $3.92 price is for only one pad, or a pair. Also, do you recommend I get 2 pairs so I can mod one, and leave the other stock?

It's a pair. Yes, I personally recommend two. You may end up disliking the modded pad, and need something to fall back on. Plus it's nice to have both just to switch b/w for certain songs. (the stock pads cuts the treble a bit) But if you have really bad cutting skills, you may want to opt for three.
icon10.gif
(it's almost impossible to screw up on the circle mod)

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 52
I -just- got my Alessandro MS-1s in the mail today, and despite them not having burned in I have to say..its quite incredible. In bass, it utterly beats my AKG 271s, but in detail/clarity its only marginally lower. I need to listen to them more and need them to burn in to tell you what they're really capable of. Lots of beautiful bass though, so far.

I have the Koss KSC75's too, but I haven't listened to them as much.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It's a pair. Yes, I personally recommend two. You may end up disliking the modded pad, and need something to fall back on. Plus it's nice to have both just to switch b/w for certain songs. (the stock pads cuts the treble a bit) But if you have really bad cutting skills, you may want to opt for three.
icon10.gif
(it's almost impossible to screw up on the circle mod)

IS there any other color than yellow?
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
IS there any other color than yellow?
confused.gif

Nope. you can always dye them though.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #23 of 52
hi sandeep,
here's a VERY happy MS-1 owner from india
eggosmile.gif

mids and highs are just fantastic, but I only have the philips HP 890 for comparison. I'm running them off the nvidia nforce soundcard, and love it.
just wishthey had a litte more bass.. i mean it goes low, and its clean even at the lowest notes, it just lacks the impact of my friends sennheiser 212, & 212 pro.
overall, I'd reccomend it completely. my next purcase would prolly be a grado SR 225 and a headroom bithead.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by F355
hi sandeep,
here's a VERY happy MS-1 owner from india
eggosmile.gif

mids and highs are just fantastic, but I only have the philips HP 890 for comparison. I'm running them off the nvidia nforce soundcard, and love it.
just wishthey had a litte more bass.. i mean it goes low, and its clean even at the lowest notes, it just lacks the impact of my friends sennheiser 212, & 212 pro.
overall, I'd reccomend it completely. my next purcase would prolly be a grado SR 225 and a headroom bithead.

Hi F355,

can you tell us how MS-1 sound compared to HP890. Phillips are famous headphones here in France, and nobody knows if MS-1 is better or not for quite the same price.

Thanks

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenainrouge
Hi F355,

can you tell us how MS-1 sound compared to HP890. Phillips are famous headphones here in France, and nobody knows if MS-1 is better or not for quite the same price.

Thanks

hi lenainrouge,
the MS1 is definitely a step up from the hp 890, overall.
mids and highs are better, musical instruments have a little more "weight" to them.
the only area where the philips scores is in the "quantity" of bass... for sure the philips has more. its great for snipers and rocket launchers in games.
the MS-1, IMO lacks the bass impact, more than makes up with tightness an accuracy of the low notes.
please keep in mind my impressions are out of a sound card. an audiophile friend borrowed it and plugged it into his top of the line NAD integrated amp. he says I should be hanged for using it off a soundcard
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

the MS1 has a lot of untapped potential.
definitely reccomended.
also, dont worry about comfort... the MS-1 and all plastic grados are so lightweight compared to the hp 890 its not even funny. and the comfie pads that are standard with the MS-1 and the grado SR 60 are very comfortable.
I'll be cutting a hole in them shortly. I heard that It improves the detail, as well as the bass.

PS: my favv music for listening on the MS-1s are the kind with a lot of natural instruments. like jazz, "unplugged" albums, dave matthews etc.

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by killer_deep
How do the HD-555's compare to the MS-1's? If I was to get any "higher" end Senn, it'd be the 555's because of their pricing. Is it as forward and fun as the KSC-75s or the MS-1?

I used to own the sr125 which is similar to the ms-1, but not as neutral. I now use the hd555 instead (along with my trusty k240s). The hd555 is a dark phone unamped, but with very good detail. Comfort and soundstage are superior to that of any grado. I find the hd555 a good balance between the grado and senn sound (I had previously owned the hd580 also). The hd555's bass has much more presence than that of the hd580, and, if you look at the frequency response plots of both phones, extends a smidge deeper too. Like the hd580 you might find the sound veiled, or dark, unamped, but with an amp the hd555 really opens up and has a nice bass slam.

I experienced the inner ear pain that many Grado users do, so I really can't recommend you buy the ms-1. I'd go with the hd555 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back