Give headphones more clamp pressure?
Mar 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xiaonyx

New Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the correct topic or not..

Hi, i have been using my Sennheiser HD 439's awhile now, and have been terribly disappointed with the bass as it is a semi-open headphone. I recently discovered that the 439's bass really improves the closer i can get my ear to the drivers. But since the headphones dont apply very much pressure to the head, its obviously a bit of a downfall to me. Is there any way to make the 439's snug up to my head more efficiently? They are extremely loose, and i hate to use my hands to push them to my ears to make the experience extra enjoyable. Thx

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 4
The first thing I would try is apply a rigid object to the outside of the earcups when conducting a bass test.  It has been shown that not only the seal but the oscillation of the earcup that can greatly diminish the bass response.  Try something like a large coin or metal flashlight.  If that works then all you have to do is find something that can apply a rigid force to the earcups at all times.  Perhaps even bonding a coin or other object to the outside of the earcup will fix the issue.

You could try various types of rubber bands, but looks are going to get a little obscured.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 4
you could try putting the phones on, pressing gently on the cups while on your head and have someone heat the top of the band with a hair drier? At the point the heat becomes uncomfortable, the band is probably warm enough to give a little...just keep the pressure on the cups until the band cools or a damp cloth could draw the heat off quicker? Might take a couple of tries to get the band to bend a little...It would be possible to damage the plastic with too much heat, so maybe multiple treatments with lower overall heat would be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back