Girlfriends and IEMS ... and the trouble they cause
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifter59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When she saw the case that came with them, she said what would be nice was a "REALLY cute handbag" she saw that would be just "perfect" for carrying the 'phones and her iPod. Christmas is gonna be ex$pen$ive.....
ksc75smile.gif

At least the "REALLY cute handbag" doesn't start with P and end with RADA...
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my girlfriend pk3's..
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

she likes them, but she loves me. however i wish i gave her my ex90's because they really do look 10x better and i feel like she would use them more if she had them

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 58
To the OP,

If you haven't already bought her something, I also think you should consider customs. You're right, it makes it difficult to surprise her with them. What you could do though is tell her about them on her birthday (and go get impessions perhaps?). Then she will be surprised on her birthday, but she won't get the actual gift on that day. It seems like recently, it's taking people about a month form the time they decide to get them until they have them in their hands.

I highly recommend the FreQShows, but they may be out of your budget. ($350)

One last thing, if you do decide to get customs for her, make sure she does the impressions open mouth. It has a higher chance of a good fit. You might also want to plan on spending double since once she gets hers, you will want some too
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know if the Music Lovers line have the over the ear style user-replaceable cable? That's kind of a big sticking point for me, but I don't want the Makers line since I have no desire to use an amp portably.

I own FreQs. The Music Lover's line does not have the removable cable. There is also a difference in the crossover circuit, but contrary to what the FreQ tells you, you don't need an amp to use the Music Maker's x-over. I listen to my FreQShows everyday unamped. Straight out of an iPod (Video and Mini) or from the onboard PC sound card, they sound great. The SuperFreQs sound great too, but, like you, I wanted the removable cable. I bought my SuperFreQs before the Music Maker's line was available. I had some cable problems (they have since changed the cable), so when I sent them back, I paid the difference and got an upgrade. If you get SuperFreqs, get the upgraded cable. It's not removable, but I believe it's the same one as the Music Makers minus the plug. It's a very nice cable.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my friends bought an rs1 for his girlriend but had tell her it was only 50$ to stop her saying it was a waste of money.

whyyyyy? (moans torturedly..)
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read this thread and thought that a woman's perspective might be helpful to the OP
tongue_smile.gif

1) You have not mentioned what DAP she has. My interest in this hobby started with my first great source - because the music I love sounded great on it. Plus, a great looking (and sounding) DAP is a nice gift to get someone interested in the hobby. And since you have a large budget, you'll also have money left over to get her a nice pair of 'phones to go with it.

2) What kind of music does she listen to? Don't mean to generalise but most women would prefer a more detailed sound to a bass heavy one. Choose the 'phones accordingly

3) IEMs are a good choice. They are light, comfortable and low-profile, and easy for me to carry around even in my purse! Try to get a smaller pair like the Q Jays because the larger ones like the Triples or even the Shures tend to be more difficult to fit/ get a seal.

4) This may seem a frivolous piece of advice but a color co-ordinated DAP and 'phones would be a nice gift
biggrin.gif
I saw some of the set-ups in the pix thread and I was like wow! (eg. white q-jays and white Cowon D2 - neat!)

About the IEMs..i can say i noticed lot of girls i ve met prefer IEMs or Earphones over headphones.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

One of my friends bought an rs1 for his girlriend but had tell her it was only 50$ to stop her saying it was a waste of money.

I would love to offer her $100 for those $50 cans
dt880smile.png

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It amuses me that so many of you have such a poor opinion of girls and hi-tech - well, actually of your girlfriends and hi-tech.

Most of us can be trusted to handle expensive stuff with care, y'know though maybe not so many girls are audiophiles!

For the record, my dad STILL does not let me drive his car - and it's not even a sports car...

It's true....I honestly don't know any girl my age that is into any tech.

And from personal experience, the only reason they're into it is because they think it will make them look good/fashionable. (ie. iPhone, iPod Touch...etc)

In most cases, they don't do ANY research to look for good deals or higher quality items. They go namebrand, namebrand, namebrand, stylish design.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #54 of 58
Mine is aware of the 5% value of the IEMs But still she doesn't like me and the IEM, when I wear them for better isolation!
bigsmile_face.gif

You can always blind and deafen them with gold, handbags and shoes!
Expensive hobbies these are!!!!!
atsmile.gif

I mean owning an IEM and GF!!

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Inevitable joke: Does she get many compliments on her "nice cans"?
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inevitable joke: Does she get many compliments on her "nice cans"?
biggrin.gif

That is the whole problem! We can't live without these "nice cans" though they are expensive and difficult to maintain.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #57 of 58
My gf loves the ER-6i's I got for her. Combined with a pair of Klipsch small bi-flange eargels they seem to be perfect for her needs.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhh man this is tough. Don't forget my main goal isn't to impress her with gifts (like clothes etcc I've done that). The idea is to get her interested in higher quality audio so that we'd have something more in common. Then again I might just be an ass trying to change her in which case I'd be a huge jack ass. I think I'll take her to my local audiophile store to see if she likes grados or akgs or if she'd prefer over the ears headphones. You guys might be right about the whole "sticking something in your ears" thing. But at this point if I do buy her akg701's or hd650's..... its gonna be a challenge for me not to open the box to take a quick listen until her birthday or be tempted to burn them in.

I suggest you get her something that she wants as a present for her. It sounds that buying the 530's for her is really a present for yourself. Don't be selfish. Buy her a gift that's thoughtful and about her. At some point in the future you can buy the 530's or something else just to share something with her that's important to you. IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back