Girlfriend-Fi: <$75 closed cans; <$60 IEMs?
Dec 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #16 of 19
I think this is a good choice. As I said before, they ES7s are really NOT comfotable and I could never image wearing them for 8 hours! They SJ5 looks way more comfortable but still stylish.

I have seen Super.fi 3s for around $50 recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I'm really not sure she'd care. I've had her A/B my HD497s and SR60s before (I had just gotten the SR60s and was infatuated with how different they sounded, at least on a certain track) and she couldn't really hear it. I am pretty sure she's not a basshead, though.

The ES7s are really nice looking (she agrees), but the two 'phone setup is more appealing to her. Right now it's looking like the SJ5 and j-JAYS, though I would still love to hear more opinions and suggestions. (I'll be searching around on these two 'phones as well)

Thanks again for all the comments so far and any comments yet to be commented.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #17 of 19
I'd recommend a new comer, an unknown to the myriads of closed headphones already available: EP 3070 from Equation Audio

A level entry closed headphone, very stylish, flat black, very esthetic. A foldable hp that easily fits in a bag.

If you search the forum you will find RP21 headphones by Equation Audio. The RP21 were the FOTM a few months ago. They are still appreciated here.

Well the EP 3070 are the entry level affordable headphones that I discovered a few weeks ago at a Equation Audio dealer in my town. I went to buy some RP15MC but ended with these one. For $25 they are a steal!

A description of the product can be found here:
EP.3070 - Folding Headphones EQUATION AUDIO :: Beyond Equal

Like someone said Sennheiser has many low level quality headphones, but these are not low level, they are not cheaply made and they sound very good!

regards,

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 19
For headphones, I'm voting for the Panasonic RP-HTX7 "retro painted headphones."

Comfortable. Easy to drive. inexpensive (~$50). Good sound - really very good sound for an unamped closed headphone at this price point. Short, non-tangly cord. And retro looks (in a variety of available colors) that may not be as cool as the ES7, but are attractive, low-profile, and non-dorky.

I agree with shellyh about the ES7's comfort level. I can't wear them very long.

I haven't heard the EP3070 that Caribou just mentioned, but if they sound more like the RP21 than like the RP15, then they could be a winner. I love the RP21 but the RP15 is too boomy for me.

Re IEMs, people's tastes are all over the map. The JAYS probably hit the sweet spot in terms of color choice, physical size/cuteness, comfort, isolation, and SQ. I own a pair of d-jays and they get much more head time than they really ought to, considering that I own other IEMs that I think are objectively much better. I don't know the j-jays, but the d-jays get a whole lot of things right for a very reasonable price.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 19
I think you're in the right direction with looking into the Eggo line. I have a pair of the older mdr-66sl and I've gotten positive responses from my girlfriends. I don't know anything about the successor Eggo, but I can say the following about the ones I have. People on audiocubes who've owned the previous Eggos seem to generally think that the current ones are in line or better with the previous ones.

They're very comfortable (the only thing I have a problem with is that they tend to make your ears warm after a while, but this is problem with pretty much all closed cans) and sound decent. When my friends see them, they want to try them, which isn't something that happens as often with my Grados. They don't really isolate, but they don't leak sound. They're also portable and efficient. My iPod drives them really loud if I crank it up (which I rarely do).

And they're cute. While I agree that Grados have a nice retro styling and some headphones are kind of classy, most lower-budget good sounding headphones are industrial ugly. Each to their own, but I support the idea of an Eggo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back