Girl Talk
Jun 30, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 42
thanks for the link, I've been hearing a lot about GT. Plus I'm a sucker for straight to the consumer sales strategies involving FLAC. They got my 5 bucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 42
is this only legal because they don't have a set price for the music, they just kinda like take donations?

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this only legal because they don't have a set price for the music, they just kinda like take donations?

yep. radiohead and nine inch nails are two other artists who have pursued this sales strategy.

Personally I love it, because I will A) never pay for lossy music and B) I am very, very happy to pay $5 for an entire lossless album, even if I don't get a case and artwork. Once we get above $5, I want a case and a physical CD for my money.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 42
Interesting. I hadn't actually heard anything about this, will definitely check it out, sounds awesome.

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 42
Thank you, for the link.

Never heard of girl talk before, got the flac version, I vowed to support any artist that used this business model, regardless of genre, and so far I have not been disappointed, great music all around.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 42
Great business model, well done on the mixing... and definitely worth a listen. My complaint is the thing is just so schizophrenic throughout the whole album... I guess my preference errs towards the DJ Shadow approach of having some manner of consistency, but that being said it's still good, just not my thing.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great business model, well done on the mixing... and definitely worth a listen. My complaint is the thing is just so schizophrenic throughout the whole album... I guess my preference errs towards the DJ Shadow approach of having some manner of consistency, but that being said it's still good, just not my thing.

My exact criticism as well! I think he should just take it easy and let some of his mash up breaks run a little longer. It seems like right when I'm starting to get into a groove he switches it up on me. Having said that, it is delightful to hear what he switches it up to. Its like tasty candy for listeners with a wide appreciation for and knowledge of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My exact criticism as well! I think he should just take it easy and let some of his mash up breaks run a little longer. It seems like right when I'm starting to get into a groove he switches it up on me. Having said that, it is delightful to hear what he switches it up to. Its like tasty candy for listeners with a wide appreciation for and knowledge of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to know I'm not the only one, I hadn't heard anything but glowing reviews to this point. My personal favorite moment was hearing "Hunger Strike" sampled, it was one of many MANY moments in the whole album I wish I could interject and have him keep going with that paticular moment. And then I promptly forgot as something else caught my ear.

I think the entire album is built for ADD kids like me.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 42
There are so many amazing surprises in this thing that a list would have to be marked SPOILER! I dled it to hear the Radiohead part, there were actually 2 that I could spot. Thanks, I was kind of having trouble choosing what to listen to lately and this gave me many laughs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back