gimme recommendations for closed cans
Oct 10, 2005 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

guvnor

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for good closed headphones at about $150 - $200 US range. I'm one of those who don't mind wearing full-sized cans on the go.
rolleyes.gif

the ones I'm currently considering are Audio Technica A700 and AKG 271 Studio. I was considering the Sennheiser HD-280, but the AT and AKG seem to be a step beyond them.

not really thinking about the Beyerdynamic 770 cuz I hear the bass is overwhelming and the general opinion seems to be that they're not too great. they're also not too cheap either.

I could move my budget up for something like the A900, but I've heard many say the difference between the A700 and A900 is not really noticeable and doesn't justify the price difference.

I'm looking to eventually pair the headphones with either a PA2V2 or Shellbrook Labs Mini Head amp or something similar, but if they sound good without being amped, that's a bonus.

any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 14
can't you find A900s for $200?

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 14
A900s are 195 on audiocubes.

also, the AT art series isn't just full sized, its more like mega sized.

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 14
yea, but I'd rather buy the A700 and save some money if the difference between them isn't really noticeable.

I'm also interested in opinions of what the 271 sounds like compared to A700 or A900.

I mainly listen to rock and hip-hop, but also classical and some others.

o, and size isn't an issue. super-size me!
icon10.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 14
Just a comment from an AT owner who also doesn't mind 'full sized cans on the go'. The ATH-A series is in no way portable. I'd get it for my home rig, but I wouldn't dare take it outside. I mean, there are big phones, and there are ATs after that. Like really, don't take em outside. They are just too big and they weren't built to get knocked around.

If you are interested in portables, Audio Technica is releasing a new can this month called the ATH - ES7. It is (as Zchan was telling me today) a trumped up version of their FC-7, and it has A series looks in a portable package. It also seems they will be retailing for about as much as the A900 in Japan. There are members on this board that have heard them, too. Do a search because there should be info somewhere. Also from AT, you might consider their pro 5 or pro 700 DJ phones.

Next, I want to make sure you know about the Sennheiser HD-25. It or the SP variant of the same model should do you nicely; and both are considered essential headphones in some DJing communities. They have bulletproof reputations in both their reviews and their build quality.

Anyways, sorry to discourage. I have and love some AT headphones and would recommend the A or AD series in a heartbeat, but they are never leaving the safety of my bedroom.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm aware of the HD-25, but I'm not a fan of supra-aural headphones, and my ears are not flat compared to most people, so anything that has to sit on the ears tend me to painful after a while. think Will Smith ears - maybe a bit less.

I guess it's hard to know how big the AT are unless I saw someone wearing them...maybe the 271 is the way to go?

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 14
haha. perfectly understandable, sir. I have very flat little things on my head, so I can wear just about anything.

People say the 271 is very power hungry and a little scant on bass, but it is amongst the best with mids in it's price bracket. If you want to take it portable, you might want a GOOD amp. Something more powerful than a Cmoy mint. I, too, have eyes for the 271. They're just pretty for starters.,

about the ATs. The earcups are almost as large as my portable CD player. four or five inches across maybe? I have a pic of myself wearing them somewhere, but it doesn't quite convey the size as my head is gargantuan.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 14
w62hy

in a word: gigantic.

size aside, they are GREAT closed headphones, just not very practical for on the go use.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 14
wowwow. thanks for findin' that.

My pic just doesn't communicate the gianormity of the things properly. You could use my forehead to communicate with other battleships.
ath207.jpg

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 14
lmao, holy moses.

I guess I'll just wait until I have the chance to buy the W1000 as closed home cans to experience AT sound.

and I only looked at the 55 ohms rating for the 271, didn't notice the 91 db SPL/mw.

what would be a good choice of amp for the 271? maybe the Maxi Moy from Shellbrook? I would still want it to be portable. I suppose I could also ask in the Amp section.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 14
yeah i'm not an amp expert, but there are plenty around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back