Gilmore Lite vs V2
Feb 3, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vargtass

100+ Head-Fier
Hia all.

I`m trying to narrow down my search for new headphones. I seem determined to go for the alessandro ms2, which seems to suit my musictaste just fine. I want to play loud music, aprox 50% electronic and the the rest will be jazz, rockish etc.

So, to my question. How much will I gain by choosing the Gilmore dynamic v2 instead of the cheaper ( but actually sexier ) Gilmore Lite. And yes, money is definitly an issue here. Really want a new cd-player as well.

Any headers on this? I guess I can upgrade the Lite with external power if I feel I need the extra bling-factor. If I hear any difference is unknown, I would guess no, but it looks mighty fancy.

So ... tell me! What do you think? I`m pretty much a beginner on this...

Feb 3, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Ï got this reply from Justin Wilson when I inquired about the Lite:

"The Lite + optional PSU has a smaller footprint than the V2. The V2
measures approx. 8 x 8 x 1.75", while the Lite + PSU (side by side)
measures approx. 11 x 4 x 1.5". When the boxes are stacked, the size
is 5.5 x 4 x 3"

Either the V2 or the Lite + optional PSU can be ordered for 230V. No
converter is necessary.

The sound of these two amps is just about identical. The V2 was
introduced 2 years ago and the Lite is much newer, so we've made many
improvements especially in build quality. Unless it's important to
you to have a 1 box unit, 2 inputs and 2 outputs, I would go with the
Lite + PSU. But I do think you'll be very happy with either amp."

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass
So, to my question. How much will I gain by choosing the Gilmore dynamic v2 instead of the cheaper ( but actually sexier ) Gilmore Lite. And yes, money is definitly an issue here.

As I recall, asking prices of used V2 typically run around $350 in the For Sale/Trade forum. Unless I am mistaken, this is considerably less than the prices on a used GL Lite (ver2) + upgraded PS.

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the Lite and have used it with and without the dedicated power supply. The amp is fantastic and will perform very well with the standard Elpac. For the price, you just can't beat it, IMHO.

The dedicated power supply does make some small improvements, but I would not worry about adding it until you get another burning case of upgradeitis.

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 9
has anyone compared the lite + psu to the V2?
By looking at the pics, the V2 seems to have a nice torriodial transformer and a superior ps section compared to the lite which reminds me of a steps. Also the V2 uses Vishay-dale resistors instead of the cheap generic blue ones. Also the V2 seems to have a better pot (alps) than the lite (Panasonic EVJ? I'm not sure).
Wouldn't it be worth the extra $70 for the better parts?

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm not sure about the technical differences but I'd imagine that the advice given by Justin (posted earlier in this thread) is pretty accurate.

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 9
I must thank you all for great answers. I think I will go for the Lite with standard power for now, and then upgrade when I have the money. The Lite looks fantastic, and I hope it will sound that way too.
Only thing I wonder about is how high I can play. Is this mostly determined by the amp, source or headphones? I have been listening alot to the stax system 3030, and at 12 o`clock it`s loud enough. Anyone here not satisfied with how high this amp sounds?

Feb 4, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass
I must thank you all for great answers. I think I will go for the Lite with standard power for now, and then upgrade when I have the money. The Lite looks fantastic, and I hope it will sound that way too.
Only thing I wonder about is how high I can play. Is this mostly determined by the amp, source or headphones? I have been listening alot to the stax system 3030, and at 12 o`clock it`s loud enough. Anyone here not satisfied with how high this amp sounds?

This is subjective and I believe indeed a function of your equipment. For me, ~9 oclock for my Etymotics and ~10.30-11 for my much, much harder to drive Senn 650s is plenty lound, unamped!

The amp will certainly play louder than non-amped but the biggest benefit is not volume but fullnice, richness and clarity. Think of it this way, the amp in your source is likely straining at your volume level. A dedicated headphone amp should be able to supply more current more easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back