Gilmore Lite vs M^3
Aug 8, 2005 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ddelu

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a home amp and I think I've narrowed it down to the Gilmore Lite or an M^3 (such as Rockhopper's).
Any thoughts on which to go with. The M cubed models are relatively new so I don't know how they compare to Gilmore's product. Phones consist of a Grado RS2, Senn HD600 and ETY 4. Budget range would be $300-$450.

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 22
I'd go with a nice M3 with a STEPS power supply built in. However, one benefit the Gilmore Lite has in the Loop Out. If you need this functionality, then it's something to consider.

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 22
For starters, you are asking for comparisons on two substantially different pieces of equipment in terms of circuit topology. You can get subjective opinions from the masses and many have been posted already. The M-cubed has been engineered to a very high performance standard in terms of frequency response, low distortion, low noise, low IMD, low crosstalk, etc, and has a very well thought-out bass control. If technical performance is of any concern to you, the M-cubed is well ahead in many measurement areas.

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 22
i did an A/B test at the San Jose meet. They are honestly pretty similar sounding to me. The M3 seemed to have a alightly warmer sound, with more bass, while the gilmore lite had more detail and was punchier. the M3 has bass controling ability, while the gilmore has the line out. and the gilmore is smaller...

im going with the gilmore myself, but that is mostly because of synergy.

good luck
whitney

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'd go with a nice M3 with a STEPS power supply built in. However, one benefit the Gilmore Lite has in the Loop Out. If you need this functionality, then it's something to consider.

Would an external STEPS degrade the sound?

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Danger
Would an external STEPS degrade the sound?

I highly doubt it, especially if the original poster plans on using his iPod as the source. As long as a decent guage umbilical cord is used, I don't see a problem.

However, this is Head-Fi...so you know someone will be playing the devil's advocate
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 22
an external steps won't degrade the sound substantially, but it will degrade the sound some. The longer the wires between the power supply and the m3 the more the impendance and resistance - but more critical, the more it will pick up emi/rfi (electromagnetic interference, radio frequency interference) This can be helped somewhat with shielded cables or an rf choke, a ferrite bead.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 22
The M³ has very good PSRR and is not sensitive to long-ish power cables between an external PSU and the amp (as long as you use reasonable gauge cabling). The amp itself has a nice-sized capacitor reservoir bank which eliminates any problem of cable impedance. The opamps' power rails are further isolated by a capacitance multiplier so the low-level circuitry is essentially immune (non-common-mode noise picked up by the DC cable, if any, are effectively absorbed, and common-mode noise are cancelled due to the virtual ground design). My tests show no degradation using a 6-ft long power umbilical cord made with 18 gauge wires.

In fact I personally prefer to have the PSU external so that the power transformer can be located a good distance away from the amp board to avoid any hum pickup.

The budget version of Rockhopper's M³ uses an external PSU (you can choose either an Elpac wallwart or STEPS, and the latter is superior).
As for loop-out, I think the Rockhopper M³ home version has it but the budget version doesn't. But I am sure thrice can accommodate your wishes and put it in.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy

I have the Rockhopper M^3 Home and a loop out came standard. I also had a gains switch added. Stephen offers a lot of options on his amps. I have not heard the Gilmore Lite, but I can say that I am extremely pleased with this amp. Love the sound.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
Not been subjective at all. M3 is far superior in sound quality. Period. I had the Lite and now the M3.

Wow.. that good huh?

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Wow.. that good huh?

No. A lot of people would disagree. That statement was excessively polarized. The difference is not anywhere near as big as the person makes it out to be.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkangpae
No. A lot of people would disagree. That statement was excessively polarized. The difference is not anywhere near as big as the person makes it out to be.

well.. if charts are anything to go by, the M3 measures a LOT better than the millet

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #15 of 22
charts are definitely something to go by, but just as a guide. listening is the ultimate test. and i A/B tested the two of them. now, i definitely was not in the best place or state of mind, as there was some room noise and i had been A/Bing equipment all day.

But, if there was a difference it was not very big. the biggest difference above any other would be the slight warmth the M3 breathed into the music (or maybe it was a slight aggressiveness on the part of the gilmore, but the gilmore has always been hailed as a very neutral amp...)

thus, i think your tonal preference would be the biggest factor here.

just my opinion though...maybe im deaf
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back