Gilmore Lite vs. HA1 MKII with HD580/650
Oct 23, 2004 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

OracleGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering my upgrade options and am thinking of either HD580 or HD650 cans with a new amp.

The Gilmore Lite and Corda HA1 MKII both seem to be well regarded. The Gilmore Lite is $300 + $175 for the optional PS. The Corda is $450. Also the Gilmore V2 is only a little further out at $550.

Which would be a "better" choice for the Sennheiser cans?

Should I consider a different amp in the same ($300 - 4xx) price range?

Oct 23, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 20
My Personal Pet Peeve - don't post topics like this ("vs."), unless you're actually doing a comparison. If, after tireless hours of searching you still cannot find an appropriate answer to your question - post your question with a question mark in the topic.

-dd3mon

Oct 23, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 20
Wow, I am in the exact same situation as you are. I'm eagerly waiting for people's responses.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 20
Its a matter of taste. The Gilmore will liven the Senn and present music with great clarity and impact. Also with a forward midrange curing the main complaint I have against the Senn house sound. The Corda is just as good but more leaning towards warm and full sounding. Its a toss up really based on your goals, immediate or intimate. Keep in mind neither is far from neutral just swing on way or the other slightly.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
My Personal Pet Peeve - don't post topics like this ("vs."), unless you're actually doing a comparison. If, after tireless hours of searching you still cannot find an appropriate answer to your question - post your question with a question mark in the topic.

Sorry for the faux pas--it doesn't seem to be possible to edit a forum title retroactively unfortunately. Next time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I recommend the gilmore lite. I responded to this question in another thread asking for amp recommendations under $700.

Thanks, I did read that thread, which put the Gilmore at the top of my list. I was looking for a comparison vs. the budget Corda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Its a matter of taste. The Gilmore will liven the Senn and present music with great clarity and impact. Also with a forward midrange curing the main complaint I have against the Senn house sound. The Corda is just as good but more leaning towards warm and full sounding. Its a toss up really based on your goals, immediate or intimate. Keep in mind neither is far from neutral just swing on way or the other slightly.

Thanks! That helps a lot.

One other difference is the crossfeed filter on the Corda. I do usually use the crossfeed on my Airhead but honestly I've had it off by mistake and not noticed, so I don't know if I'd miss it if I went with the Gilmore.

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 20
I've been thinking upgrading to other one of these amps. I just don't know which one. Gilmore Lite with Dedicated PSU would get pretty expensive after taxes and duties but does HA1 MkII match that combination?

I've also planned to get a cable upgrade, propably Blue Dragon II.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 20
I preferred the Corda Ha-1 MKII to the first version Gilmore Lite but it is said that the second version has been a substantial improvement.

Nevertheless, depite not having heard the Gilmore Lite 2nd edition, I would recommend the Corda HA-2 MKI from Meier-Audio's special sale for $490. I've owned this amp with the HD 650 and only sold it for upgrading to something much bigger. This is a great-sounding amp (better than the HA-1 MKII) with many favourable reviews/impressions at a very good price. It originally retailed for much more. Plus, Dr. Meier is a sponsor at this forum and offers a fantastic service. And it has crossfeed, which I personally like very much.

In any case, I don't think the V2 or HA-2 will be possibly better than the other in absolute terms and considering the similar pricings it will most likely be a matter of taste in the end.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Nevertheless, depite not having heard the Gilmore Lite 2nd edition, I would recommend the Corda HA-2 MKI from Meier-Audio's special sale for $490.

I spotted that offer but there's only two units both 110V and shipping from US. So that offer is not for me.

I've been wondering that would it even be an upgrade to go from Ear to HA1? Is here anybody who has listened both of them?

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 20
Well I ordered and have already paid HA1 MkII. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Well my HA1 MkII arrived today and my first impressions are positive. It has more transparent and better detailed sound. Soundstage didn't improve almost at all and that's little disappointment though it was already very good with Ear. HA1 doesn't amplify the sound as much as Rega but you can still damage your hearing with it.

Now I'll just have to burn in and post more comments later.

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye
Congratulations on the HA1 MKII; it's a great amp!

Thanks!

Hmm... I think that bass has more impact now. Infected Mushroom tells me that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Patu,

Great choice, the HA-1 MkII (guts tell me) !

Me, I tried to emulate your fortunate headphone + amp combination by ordering myself a Porta Corda MkIII ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back