Gilmore Lite Volume
Sep 13, 2007 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

o3ric

New Head-Fier
Hey,

finally got my Gilmore Lite (w/dps), so have Audigy2 -> Coax digital -> Paradisea+ -> Gilmore Lite -> HD650

Is anyone with this kind of set up happy with the volume with the Gilmore Lite? Have to get the volume setup to max on the Gilmore to get a loud sound out of cans, granted, the max of the Gilmore is the max I can, with comfortably listen to, however am slightly worried the Gilmore might be producing a slightly distorted sound at max (only had it for a day, so will test over a week).

Also any one have any problems with the LEDs? had to hit with a little force on the dedicated power supply for blue LED to stay on (as it kept going out).

Also switching off the Gilmore lite (from back of unit) is it also meant to switch off the dps?

Thanks.

O3ric

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 8
There's a problem somewhere. With a line level input the gilmore should drive those HD650's WAY louder than any person would want to listen. I don't think I ever turned my old Gilmore V2 past 70 percent, and that was with a pair of AKG 240m's, at earsplitting levels. With a pair of K501's the volume knob was never past 50 percent, and that was with quiet stuff, normally it was around the 25-30 % range. Hook that gilmore lite directly to the audigy or a regular cdp's outputs, even a pcdp or something with a lineout. If the problem is still there I'd give headamp a call and see what's up.

If the Power supply LED was having problems I'd definately give Headamp a call anyways. Check first with another source and see if it shows the problem with other sources (and be sure it's outputting at the proper level, if you're feeding the amp near silence it's not gonna be able to do much with it.)

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 8
ah man
frown.gif
year have tried with a xbox 360 to it directly and still the volume is way low, at 50%. Also tried some other cans, still at low to medium volume.

I must say, as everyone praises Headamp I have really not had a good response with them. I can understand them being busy, however they have missed my emails (which granted as I use my own domain address could be blocked (however every other person/company I have every emailed gets my email ok)) and now after waiting a couple of months for this, its broken and I might have to wait another couple more to get it fixed.

I really do not want to be saying this as everyone else says this is a fantastic headphone amp, and man I really want to experience them.

O3ric

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by o3ric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also any one have any problems with the LEDs? had to hit with a little force on the dedicated power supply for blue LED to stay on (as it kept going out).

This happened on my GS-1 as well, so it's a common problem.

How are you going from the Audigy to Coax? Do you have a breakout box or are you using a 5mm to coax adapter to convert the line-out signal?

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Have Audigy Platinum Pro (so brake-out box) Digital coax cable that I am using is QED Qunex Signature_75. Pluged straight in back of brake-out box (RCA SPDIF Out) (http://www.qed.co.uk/i152c197-158/QE...gnature_75.htm)
and from the DAC to the Gilmore I am using QED Quinex Silver Spiral (http://www.qed.co.uk/i119c170-158/QE...ver_Spiral.htm)

Have got in contact with them, and will be posting the Gilmore back, as you can see from the specs, I am using a DAC which was highly recommended (Paradisea+) and the cables alone are about the price of DAC, so can not be down to crappy cables. Have however tested both the DAC and cables on a external decoder (accepts analogue) all working fine.

As said before, also tested with my xbox 360 (360 to headphone amp using VGA/RCA cables and set to volume to max on 360) and still get low volume. Do not have any other devices to try out.

Do not know of any other tests I can do. Anyone here sent anything worth £250 abroad from the UK (want insurance as well) - Just hope this is not going to cost me a bomb to send it back again.

Also sorry if you keep looking at my posts and see I edit them alot, not a great writer and often by mistake forget to add things (even when I proof-read 4 times)

O3ric

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Good luck! The Paradisea is one good looking amp and I am sure it would match well with the Gilmore when it's all fixed!

Just out of interest, how much did it cost you to send the Gilmore with insurance?

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey,

Mate, after waiting now almost 4 months for all the components for my headphone set-up to come together and having the last bit go wrong new. I really, really can not wait till I can experience these HD650`s properly!!!

Got £250 insurance (as both together are worth $499 = £250). Post Office Airsure was £24.22

O3ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back