Gilmore Lite (v1) First Impressions...
Aug 30, 2006 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Note -- this is truly a "first impressions" thread, not a review. I have listened to the amp for a total of about thirty minutes so far, with selections from three or four different CDs. It's already well broken-in, having had at least two owners over the course of as many years.

First off, I'd like to say that the fit and finish on this amp is awesome. I thought from the pictures that it looked a little bit "DIY-ish" compared to the most recent iteration of the GLite, but I was wrong. Justin was getting it right from the start, and it's hard to imagine how the latest model can improve too much on what I have on my hands here (other than the loop out and upgraded circuit board/caps). I expect the v1 represents the Headamp Gilmore Lite sound well, despite aforementioned improvements.

I will include a picture, but to be honest the amp looks about ten times better in real life. The body of the amp is soft brushed-aluminum silver, and the knob and headphone jack are sharp chrome-type silver... a great choice IMO as the eyes go immediately to what they need to see... either the jack to plug in phones, or the (smooth as silk turning) volume knob. The bright blue LED is nice, although I'm a "red LED guy." The whole thing is smaller and more compact than what you might imagine from the picture.

gilmore1.jpg

I don't know if Justin has improved the volume pot in the Lite v2 (didn't he say so?) but I don't understand what needed improving. I tried listening at a very low volume, and the two channels remain well balanced. The feel of the knob turning is very nice, with a certain weight/heft and smoothness reminiscent of classy hi-fi gear from the 70s. I guess my only complaint is that it's a little bit on the small side and "slippery" (not that easy to get a good grip on while turning).

The amp gets quite warm, as a result of class "A" operation. Almost hot, in fact. It's easy to see why an all-metal case is essential to this design.

As far as the sound goes, what you guys may have heard about clarity and transparency is true. This amp has made me realize that others I've owned have been mid-fi... albeit well done and good sounding mid-fi.

The Gilmore Lite passes on the music from the source it's connected to. And it's absolutely ruthless!
eek.gif
Using my Pimeta with OPA627s (a warm/romantic but somewhat muffled sounding amp) I'd suspected I had a decent source in the Denon DCM-370 CD player. Thankfully the Gilmore Lite has verified this. This is not an amp you want to use with a mediocre source. It hides nothing and adds a minimum of its own 'sound', unlike a lot of amps out there. Make sure that's what you want before you drop the cash on one of Justin's latest sweeties.

I feel that the Lite matches pretty well with my Beyer DT880s. The highs can be a little sharper and more crystallized than with a warmer amp like a Pimeta, but the fact is that you're hearing the music as it really is, rather than a romanticized interpretation of it. Nothing wrong with the latter, it's just not my main audio goal. Despite the clearer highs, I seem to have chosen my source well; there's still no sonic fatigue evident on long term listening, but those more realistic highs will take a little getting used to. Poor recordings are more evident as such with this amp.

A much blacker background (than the Pimeta) and greater transparency was immediately evident in the fact that every song is sounding different -- the Pimeta imparts a certain sameness that, while good sounding, homogenizes things somewhat. In other words, the OPA627s and BUF634 buffers in the Pimeta have a "sound" that's always present no matter what you're listening to. The Gilmore appears to have no such built-in sound, although on a more subtle level there are many comments to be made about soundstage, mids, dynamics, etc. But that's for another thread, after I've listened quite a bit longer.

Justin (Headamp) and Kevin Gilmore have a real winner in the Gilmore Lite. Thanks Justin for this piece of high end gear I have sitting on top of my CD player (and thanks again to meat01 for selling me the amp, $165 shipped is quite a bargain for what I ended up getting). In audio, going with my intuition has always lead me true, and it was worth putting off my K701 purchase in order to pick up an amp more worthy of what I'll be getting.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Glad to see you are so satisfied with the Gilmore V1. The products from HeadAmp are built like tanks, the AE-1 I had felt as one also.

Let's just say that my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive (remember where I'm coming from guys, maxed-out Pimeta with OPA627s). The aspects of the GLite that are better than the Pimeta are so much better that it's difficult to find any faults at this 'first impressions' stage.

As far as long term satisfaction, that can sometimes be a different animal (not that it will be, but just sayin'). I'll certainly update this thread later, or maybe start a new one that looks a bit more like a review.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 28
Now imagine you had a v2
eek.gif

Seriously though, the HeadAmp Lite v2 and Beyer 880 were my first step into what headphones could do. The JMT Maxed Meta42, similar to your PiMeta, couldn't hold a candle to the Lite.

Problem is now you need to revisit all those cans you disliked compared to the Beyer and hear what they really sound like when well driven
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Now imagine you had a v2
eek.gif

Has anyone ever done a direct comparison, and posted the results? Aside from upgraded caps and full ground plane, it looks to me like resistor quality may have taken a step down in the v2 (was Vishay Dales, don't know what the current ones are). But I could be wrong. Anyway, I'd be curious if anyone who has owned both feels that the v2 sounds much better, or if it's just a minor/incremental improvement in SQ.

Quote:

Seriously though, the HeadAmp Lite v2 and Beyer 880 were my first step into what headphones could do. The JMT Maxed Meta42, similar to your PiMeta, couldn't hold a candle to the Lite.

Were you listening to Sennheisers at the time? Although transparency-wise I'm sure you're right, the situation might be complicated by a brighter/detail oriented can like the DT880 (see below).

I've been listening to the GLite further (with my DT880s) and actually I think it does have a slightly metallic character to the sound, particularly in the highs... unless that's just my DT880s needing more warmth, or the particular CD that's been spinning for the past half hour. It ain't my CDP, which is definitively warm sounding.

IMO DT880s can be giant killers with the right gear, and unbearable with the wrong combination. No decisions until I've purchased K701s and broken them in. In the long run, could be either the DT880 or Glite will have to go (can't believe I just hinted at selling my beloved DT880s
tongue.gif
).

Edit -- dammit, my ears are ringing. I've done thrown off the "listen for hours without fatigue" synergy I had before this amp purchase.
mad.gif
I'm sticking to waiting until I get K701s before making any decisions tho.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 28
I had the Beyer 880 when I got the HeadAmp Lite and also when I had the Meta42.

What you describe is the Beyer 880 in a nutshell. I preferred it with my Rudistor RP5.1 but I wouldn't call the Rudi honest it was clearly imparting a full bloom to the recording.

The AKG 701 and more so Senn 650 are wonderful with the HeadAmp. The beauty and bane of the Senn is you can tune it with aftermarket cables. Lean it out, improve clarity, make it a bass monster, brighten it up...

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 28
Justin once said that the majority of the Gilmore Lites that are out and about are v2s. I believe when he first started out he always used Vishay Dales, because that is what everyone wanted, but after comparing different resistors, he probably felt there was not an audible difference.

The v2 also has a loop out feature.

I am sure if people did test the differences between the 2 versions, they would have a hard time telling them apart, but everyone wants the latest and greatest
smily_headphones1.gif
, so fewtch got a great bargain!

I built myself a Dynalo in an old B&K preamp case and now use that as my amp. It ain't the prettiest, but it sounds great. I knew I could never sell that, so I sold the Gilmore Lite.

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Justin once said that the majority of the Gilmore Lites that are out and about are v2s.

Less than 10 v1 all told
eek.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Less than 10 v1 all told
eek.gif

Seriously? Wow. I think I remember two of them at a Bay Area meet in 2003 or 2004, and at the time it seemed like one or two were always for sale in the forums. Those must have really made the rounds.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I feel that the Lite matches pretty well with my Beyer DT880s. The highs can be a little sharper and more crystallized than with a warmer amp like a Pimeta, but the fact is that you're hearing the music as it really is, rather than a romanticized interpretation of it. Nothing wrong with the latter, it's just not my main audio goal.

Are you really really certain that the "romanticized interpretation" isn't the pure factual truth, while your "as it really is" isn't just the music voided of its inherent romantic component?
basshead.gif

I envy you for your so self-assured stance
redface.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 28
I think it's time for some HD650's, they should mate very well with the Lite...

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 28
I have the version 1 and was able to listen to version 2. The only difference was that the v.2 was slightly warmer, while the v.1 was more analytical.

These differences were small. If there were any other differences they were so small, that it isn't even worth mentioning.

I think the GL is a great! value. It won't help tame a bright system, but it controls the drivers very well with lots of authority.

It does bass better than any other amp I've heard on my GS-1000
basshead.gif
. Absolutely rock solid even to the deepest register, but the highs were a little too strong which is something that came from the GS-1000 not the amp.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Are you really really certain that the "romanticized interpretation" isn't the pure factual truth, while your "as it really is" isn't just the music voided of its inherent romantic component?

That's an interesting point.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I think it's time for some HD650's, they should mate very well with the Lite...

Certainly better than the K701, I guess. Cold + cold = icy cold
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back