Gilmore Lite upgraded Power Supply
Jun 7, 2005 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with the Gilmore Lite's upgraded Power Supply, and if the extra $200 USD was justified. Does it make a substantial difference in terms of sound quality?

Thanks,
Adrian Kwok.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 5
like the OP in the review mentioned, it really depends on how clean your AC line is. if the Elpac+Gilmore Lite works well for you, then there is no need to spend more on the PSU. just my $0.02
cool.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Heyo!

I've read close to all the posts on the forums now and I would like some more insight on the DPS! If you have one, could you post your findings?

I'm torn between a Headroom Micro DAC (My Onkyo already does a fine job I think), and the DPS.

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I'm torn between a Headroom Micro DAC (My Onkyo already does a fine job I think), and the DPS.

IMO you get a lot more sonic improvement/dollar with a source upgrade than a PS upgrade. However, I've never heard the Micro DAC or your Onkyo, so I don't know how much upgrade we're talking about here. Headroom has a 30-day money back guarantee, so if the Micro DAC doesn't meet your expectations you could always send it back and spend the money elsewhere.

Since (according to your sig) you don't have the Lite yet, why not get it and enjoy it for a while before worrying about upgrading?

I have a Lite with the Elpac, and it simply rocks. The way I look at it, I'd need to spend $500 to get an amp of equal quality to the Lite with dedicated PS. So, someday when I'm dying to drop that kind of money on a new amp, I'll get the PS instead and save $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back