Gilmore Lite: Sort of disappointed, where to go from here?
Jun 14, 2007 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I recently got a Gilmore Lite (used) for my HD650s and I have to say, I'm rather disappointed. There just isn't much 3D effect or sparkle to the music and the bass is severely lacking. Before this I was using the headphone jack on my HK receiver. While the Gilmore is better in terms of overall resolution, it just isn't as powerful a sound. The only other headphone amp I've tried was a Presonus Central Station. I returned that after a couple of weeks because a) I wasn't at all impressed with the DAC, and b) I figured for $500+tax I could get a much better standalone amp. I have to say though as just an amp, I was much more impressed with the Presonus. Maybe my hindsight is just foggy, but it had more punch and sparkle to the music.

So my question is where do I go from here? I could get the Presonus again, but quite frankly, if I'm not going to use the DAC then what's the point. I considered getting the DPS for the Gilmore, but from what I've read the improvement isn't that substantial. I was thinking about getting a Meier Opera, but I've read some reviews of it saying it isn't as powerful as one would expect either. The other option I was considering is hiring a builder for a Dynahi or B22 build, but I kind of wanted to get something that was professionally built and finished.

For reference the music I listen to is anything from alt-folk & singer/song-writer stuff, to pop, rock, electronic, industrial (basically anything except country/rap/classical/jazz).

Thanks

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 58
well. what's your source now.. the change in source from the presounus may be the largest difference.

the other thing is that if you really want power... i know few amps that have that kind of head-room: extreme, dynahi, PPX slam, etc...

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 58
Maybe you should look at tubes. The GLite is a good companion to my Little Dot 2+.

The GLite is a sparkly gradoish sound and the LD2+ is a more bass-ish, soundstagy monster!

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 58
The HK jack is probably doing what the jack on my NAD and Creek integrateds (and on Creek dedicated headphone amps) does/do, which is produce a crude but boisterous sound that seems, at first listen, as better and more exciting than the GLite when, in reality, the more detailed sound of the GLite is preferable (to audiophiles, at least!
wink.gif
) in the long run.

I've "learned" to prefer the much more refined, detailed, and sophisticated sound of things like your GLite. Lots of the finer things in life - heirloom tomatoes, gourmet coffee, classical music - need to be cultivated and learned in order to be appreciated. Then you can never go back to HK receivers or store-bought tomatoes.

The guy who produces the Opera etc. amps had a great statement on your exact quandary. SEARCH on his posts on you may find it. He essentially said what I (tried) to say above - which is that to each his own, and you may well prefer the HK jack, but in the end, it's a pretty raw and basic sound compared to the GLite or whatever.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HK jack is probably doing what the jack on my NAD and Creek integrateds (and on Creek dedicated headphone amps) does/do, which is produce a crude but boisterous sound that seems, at first listen, as better and more exciting than the GLite when, in reality, the more detailed sound of the GLite is preferable (to audiophiles, at least!
wink.gif
) in the long run.

I've "learned" to prefer the much more refined, detailed, and sophisticated sound of things like your GLite. Lots of the finer things in life - heirloom tomatoes, gourmet coffee, classical music - need to be cultivated and learned in order to be appreciated. Then you can never go back to HK receivers or store-bought tomatoes.

The guy who produces the Opera etc. amps had a great statement on your exact quandary. SEARCH on his posts on you may find it. He essentially said what I (tried) to say above - which is that to each his own, and you may well prefer the HK jack, but in the end, it's a pretty raw and basic sound compared to the GLite or whatever.

That could definitely be the case. Maybe I just need to adjust.

As for my source, while it's not great (a Pioneer universal player, 563A I think), even when not using the DAC in the Presonus, the Presonus seemed to sound like a better amplifier. In fact, one of the reasons I didn't keep the Presonus is because I didn't find it's DAC to be considerably better than the one in my player (it was a little more analytical sounding and more accurate, but less warm).

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe try the DPS. I definitely noticed a difference with it.

How noticible of a difference would you say the DPS made? The reviews I've read seemed to indicate it was subtle. I'm hesitant to spend more money walking down a road I'm not currently content with. Rather I'm thinking maybe I should just persue a different avenue.

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 58
I can´t say how noticible of a difference the DPS is in general. But how noticible it is in your house it´s the important question. And that´s depends a lot of the power you have in your house and the demands of your headphones.

The cleaning of the electricity has an effect if you electricity is manky of HF. If you have clean electricity, it can only cost you some dynamics.

There are headphones who run very effectiv and are easy to drive (like the grados) but a AKG K-701 is something completly differenct, despite the fact it has only an impedance of 62 ohm.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How noticible of a difference would you say the DPS made? The reviews I've read seemed to indicate it was subtle. I'm hesitant to spend more money walking down a road I'm not currently content with. Rather I'm thinking maybe I should just persue a different avenue.

While the DPS added a 'touch of bass' for me, it didn't transform the glite into a bass slammin' monster. I'd only recommend the DPS if you were already 'mostly' satisfied with the glite.

On a side note, my Glite loses dynamics and quality somewhat when i have the loopout attached to other equipment. If this is your case, give it a listen without the loopout connected for a while. Might change your mind.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 58
If you're not pleased with the sound signature of GLite, then adding a DPS will not make a difference.

You should go tubes if imaging and soundstage is what you found lacking in GLite. I have auditioned Glite before and thought it was a good SS amp but to me the tube sound was what suited my tastes.

I don't know what your budget is but maybe you can add a decent DAC and amp for 1000USD and just use your Pioneer as a transport.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not pleased with the sound signature of GLite, then adding a DPS will not make a difference.

You should go tubes if imaging and soundstage is what you found lacking in GLite. I have auditioned Glite before and thought it was a good SS amp but to me the tube sound was what suited my tastes.

I don't know what your budget is but maybe you can add a decent DAC and amp for 1000USD and just use your Pioneer as a transport.

GLite has no *signature* per se, it's just wire with the gain. If you like coloration then tubes might serve you better. DPS definitely does not transform GLite, but improves the imaging, adds and tightens up the bass.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DPS definitely does not transform GLite, but improves the imaging, adds and tightens up the bass.

that sounds about right. nothing dramatic. but the overall sound is just better. If you like the Lite but just feel that it is slightly lacking, then the DPS would be something worth trying. If you are completely dissatisfied with the amp, then it may be time to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back