Gilmore Lite Question
Dec 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
I have spent a lot of time looking at silver Gilmore Lites online, and have noticed that there is one version with a beveled volume knob (the front-most edge doesn't terminate at 90 degrees) and a simpler/cleaner one that ends at a right angle (as pictured on the Headamp site). Which is the newer of the two? I originally thought the beveled one is older, as it matches the knob of the discontinued black amp + DPS combo, but Gilmore Lite V2's have been around for some time. I cannot find anything that confirms which is the older/newer of the two online. I assume that the interior of the amp remains the same in both cases. Thanks for letting me know, Head-fi elite!
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent a lot of time looking at silver Gilmore Lites online, and have noticed that there is one version with a beveled volume knob (the front-most edge doesn't terminate at 90 degrees) and a simpler/cleaner one that ends at a right angle (as pictured on the Headamp site). Which is the newer of the two? I originally thought the beveled one is older, as it matches the knob of the discontinued black amp + DPS combo, but Gilmore Lite V2's have been around for some time. I cannot find anything that confirms which is the older/newer of the two online. I assume that the interior of the amp remains the same in both cases. Thanks for letting me know, Head-fi elite!
wink.gif

Mine's 2 months old and beveled.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks! This has turned into a pretty easy way to find out: If you got the GLite direct from Justin just two months ago, then I guess the beveled edged knob is from the newer builds. Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 13
I got my Gilmore Lite on June, 2007 and it has the beveled volume knob.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Ooh... Looking for someone prior to June 2007 with a right-angled, "cleaner" one then to solidify my theory. Thanks for the info, lmf22.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Yes, I did that earlier this week and haven't heard from him. I take it he is likely very busy getting the Pico Slim together, so I am not expecting a timely reply. I would be glad to hear what he has to say about it, that's for sure. Not that it is a major deal... just a curiosity, really.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks very much, Justin! Well, that confirms it. That said, I've gotta say: I'm loving the Gilmore Lite, especially with the HF-2's. I can't stop staring at the thing, really. And amazing sound synergy to boot that has had me up 'til all hours, sleeping in, forgetting to go to work, neglecting to groom myself properly. All in the name of hi-fi! At least my upgradeitis has been cured. ... *Thoughts of a GS-1 suddenly emerge*
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 13
I'd like to think that with the DPS, the GLite is near equivalent to the GS-1, but that's obviously wishful thinking. Still, I recall reading somewhere that this is actually the case based on several people's opinions. Justin's (Headamp) as well (?). Hmmm... Pretty sure I DID read that, come to think of it...

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to think that with the DPS, the GLite is near equivalent to the GS-1, but that's obviously wishful thinking. Still, I recall reading somewhere that this is actually the case based on several people's opinions. Justin's (Headamp) as well (?). Hmmm... Pretty sure I DID read that, come to think of it...

Could be. Having the circuits split away to two boards may keep the signals purer. Just as a kick, I plugged my k701s into a GS-X (supposedly one se is equivalent to a GS-1) and I don't remember the Glite/Elpac having such controlled bass at the level experienced. Guess I should have built an external PS somewhere along the way to try it before I sold it.

Gaining the ability to set gain for the phones and having two switchable sources is nicein the GS-1. The casing/build quality is definitely up a notch over a Glite.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I agree. These are all pretty good reasons to upgrade later on. For now, however, the GLite is knocking my proverbial socks off. Love it and it doesn't look too bad either!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back