Gilmore Lite or PPA
May 6, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 20
I had never considered the M3. It looks like it could fit the bill a bit better than an intro level ppa. Do any of you have any experience with the Corda HA-1 Mk II? I would like to have the option to experiment with crossfeed. That functionality could be built into a M3 as well, right? Thanks again,

Derrick

May 7, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by notderrick
I had never considered the M3. I would like to have the option to experiment with crossfeed. That functionality could be built into a M3 as well, right? Thanks again,

Derrick

Absolutley, my M3 will eventually use a crossfeed circuit - the board is fully populated just not wired into the mix yet.

Shoot thrice a PM and ask him for a quote for the type of M3 you think you might like. While I've never bought an amp from him he's be very willing to share his knowledge of amp building with me and is just an all around great guy.

Nate

May 7, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by notderrick
I had never considered the M3. It looks like it could fit the bill a bit better than an intro level ppa. Do any of you have any experience with the Corda HA-1 Mk II? I would like to have the option to experiment with crossfeed. That functionality could be built into a M3 as well, right? Thanks again,

Derrick

The crossfeed in the Corda is nice (well, almost essential after you get used to it), at least for certain recordings. I just ordered an M3 from thrice, and I'll second n_maher's comments. He (thrice) has Linkwitz crossfeed boards on hand, if you want to use them, though I don't know how the two compare. What I can say is that the Corda crossfeed is known for being somewhat more subtle than most, which I think is a good thing. It does run quite a bit more than either a baseline M3 or a gilmore lite, though, and the only comparison of the two I've found didn't really favor the Corda (although, I suspect you're looking at a used one in the same price range... am I right?).

May 7, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 20
Hello,

In respect to the corda, I am not really looking at them now, they have just always occupied a place in my mind as excellent amps. One other amp that I am considering is the Headsave new classic that is currently for sale. Does anyone have experience with this amp and how it compares with the other two? It is definitely less expensive than the other two, but I wouldn't want to be upgrading again in two monthe (or would I...
biggrin.gif
). By the way, I emailed Thrice and he responded quickly. We're currently trying to spec out the M3 that would address my needs best, and I am on the list to receive the demo model. Thanks again for all your help,

Derrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back