Gilmore Lite - Loop out interference normal?
Apr 14, 2007 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jmmtn4aj

Headphoneus Supremus
So awhile ago I was listening to my A700s and I started noticing distortion at certain frequencies. So I thought the A700s were damaged because they feel awhile ago. But then I switched to the 911 and I realised that the distortion was still there, distortion that was absolutely absent on my speakers.

So afraid that it was the GLite that was damaged, I switched on my AV amplifier which was connected via loop-out to test my headphones with the headphone out of the AV amplifier. When I switched on the AV amplifier, I realised something, the volume of my headphones (connected to the GLite directly) went up. Realising that the AV amplifier was interfering with the signal, I pulled the plugs out of the loop-out.

The distortion went away.

So my question is this, are the loop-outs of all GLites this unisolated? Or did I damage it somehow? Lately I've been pulling out the plugs while the equipments were hot (still plugged into the mains) to take pictures of the GLite. Could I have blown something?

EDIT: Woah I'm having a brain fart. 3 paragraphs out of 4 starting with 'so'?
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 9
I think some modern AV amplifiers/receivers are shorting their input jacks when you turn them off. This would also short the input to the Gilmore Lite, since the loop out jacks are just in parallel with the Lite's input jacks - the same as using a Y-splitter. In the future I may prevent this by putting a resistor in series with the loop out so it can't be shorted completely, but then the loop out wouldn't be completely transparent, so there may not be a perfect solution. However, most loop outs I've seen are configured like the Gilmore Lite.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 14, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 9
I had the same problem. It occurs with all of my amps as long as they are analog connected to the AV in any way. When I listen through the DAC theres no distortion because the analog signal after the DAC isn't connected to the AV on any point - just to the headphone amps.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some modern AV amplifiers/receivers are shorting their input jacks when you turn them off. This would also short the input to the Gilmore Lite, since the loop out jacks are just in parallel with the Lite's input jacks - the same as using a Y-splitter. In the future I may prevent this by putting a resistor in series with the loop out so it can't be shorted completely, but then the loop out wouldn't be completely transparent, so there may not be a perfect solution. However, most loop outs I've seen are configured like the Gilmore Lite.

So what exactly is shorted inside the GLite? Is it permanent? The distortion is present even when the AV amplifier is off (but still plugged into the mains), if that means anything..

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 9
I found the loop out wasn't completely transparent. When I had my Aria hooked up to the GLite's loop out, the volume was lower than directly hooked up to the Alien DAC. I didn't notice any quality loss, just lower volume.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Hmm, time to switch questions..

I didn't have distortion previously, so something has changed between last time and now. The thing is if the loop-out is just a circuit in parallel, then wouldn't any problem on the amp side affect the sound even when the AV receiver is connected? If there's nothing that can be damaged in the GLite such as distortion goes away when the receiver is unplugged, then I'm happy, and it's just a messed up circuit in my ~10 year old AV receiver (music sounds perfectly fine coming through my speakers though).

Musik, the distortion occurs even with the receiver turned off, although with the red light still on (not unplugged from the mains). Turning off the mains is even more troublesome than unplugging it from the GLite o.O

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 9
I only have the distortion when the AV is switched off - not when it is on. I assumed you had the same problem but seems to be different if the distortion is there all the time the cables are connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back