Gilmore Lite -> DPS?
Jul 9, 2005 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

injinuiti

New Head-Fier
Ok, I'm just wondering what "benefit" I would get from the DPS for the Gilmore Lite.
confused.gif
My current set up is a Gilmore Lite with wallwart with Senn 650's.

Now if I happen to attack my wallet for $225 for the DPS what kinds of gains should I expect?

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 14
According to Justin at Headamp, the DPS should allow your Glite to be pretty much equal to the GS1 sound-wise.

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 14
Joey_V have you heard the GLite before? Let me know how your GS-1 turns out and possibly compare it to GLite (if you've heard it before).

Right now I'm pretty happy with the GLite without the DPS... but I'm feeling the head-fi bug bite effects..

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by injinuiti
Joey_V have you heard the GLite before? Let me know how your GS-1 turns out and possibly compare it to GLite (if you've heard it before).

Right now I'm pretty happy with the GLite without the DPS... but I'm feeling the head-fi bug bite effects..

Let my wallet heal and I will try out both the GLite and the DPS and compare it to the GS1.

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

From other impressions on this topic, the dedicated PSU won't dramatically increase the sound quality -- mostly you get an improvement in the bass. I haven't personally heard the Lite with the DPS though. However, to cure your upgraditis -- buy more music!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 14
I finally tracked down an internal shot of the Lite DPS... the GS-1 PS is more substantial but uses a lower voltage transformer. 18v vs. 15v but the GS-1 has more regulation and at least 2x the capacitance.

So now my question is where's my DPS V2
wink.gif

DPS: http://ipodstudio.com/photopost/show...sort/1/cat/505

GS-1: http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1...dule_large.jpg

The upload size limit is too small for me to circle the additions so I'll try to explain them. If we say the transformer, the blue thing, is centre... the section below it between and including the 2 heatsinks and the part in between the left/right channel is the DPS. The 2 sections to the left and right of the transformer are the addition. Hope that makes sense.

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 14
True, the GL's PSU and the GS-1's PSU isn't going to be identical. However, if Justin says that the GL+PSU and the GS-1 are going to sound (nearly) the same, that means something...

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 14
You just gotta choose whether you want the extras or not. He did say mention though, that the GS1 *should* technically be better than the GLite+DPS as you move up the source ladder, but most people wont hear the difference in their setup.

What I got from our successive talks is that the GLite+DPS is about 95% of the GS1. You probably cant tell the difference if blind-tested.

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 14
I originally bought the Lite with the Elpac and later upgraded to the DPS. At home in the woods, the DPS adds some clarity and extension, especially in the bass region. At work, where the power is cleaner, the DPS still adds some bass, but other differences are very subtle.

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 14
Thats pretty interesting jpr703. I've never actually took into consideration the "cleanliness" of the power from my outlet. It does intrigue me that you say the DPS does improve the sound from the Glite, especially in the bass department. I still am wondering if these improvements are justified by the $225 pricetag.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I still am wondering if these improvements are justified by the $225 pricetag.

Heh, welcome to the world of audio (and the real world), the closer you want to get to perfection the bigger become the leaps in cost!
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Heh, welcome to the world of audio (and the real world), the closer you want to get to perfection the bigger become the leaps in cost!
biggrin.gif

Hi Greg! I was going to reply with the same thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Hi Greg! I was going to reply with the same thing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Sean, good to see you around more, I missed you when you were vacationing there for a while!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back