Gilbert Kaplan's Mahler 2/VPO
Dec 17, 2005 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
I have this recording as a hybrid SACD; it ranks up there with some of my favorites. It's got great playing, great sound and Kaplan does a nice job. Though recently I have noticed a small problem in the sound. During the final track, on the multichannel layer, there is noticeable distortion, especially when the sopranos sing high and loud. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem? I have checked on the SACD stereo layer and the redbook CD layer and the distortion is NOT there. I find it odd that only the multichannel layer would have distortion. I'm not sure why this would be. Perhaps my copy is defective.

Any thoughts? I'd rather not buy another copy and have the same problem and I don't know anyone else that owns this disc.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 4
I also have the SACD/hybrid and have not noticed any distortion. You may have a dud, so try and exchange it for another copy and see if the distortion is still there.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 4
I just ordered that sacd to jpc last week. I'll listen to check that in my copy when it comes.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 4
It's one of my favorite SACDs, but I have only listened to it in 2-channel mode. I'll give it a listen on my MCH home theater rig and see if I notice what you are talking about.

Doc

P.S. I know exactly the point you are talking about. The last track is when the "dead are getting raised" and the extremely high note is where the soprano sings (in German) "my heart, in the twinkling of an eye". It's a demanding moment for any system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back