Gigabeat S Owners
Aug 7, 2006 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I just got this player last week, and so far I love it (review along with comparison to Vison:M on its way soon). I do have a couple of questions regarding the players functionality however.

Is there a way to delete a single file from the quick list?

Does WMP have the functionality to keep the Gigabeat's library "saved"? What I mean by this is does WMP have to scan your player every time you connect it, or can it keep the library saved so that it can just do a quick scan to see what has changed since the last time it was connected? I ask this because it takes so long for WMP to scan the player, and it seems unreasonable that this feature would not be available. Or perhaps this taking so long is because of the player's hardware? All I know is that Rio's software used to populate the player's library very qucikly, and iTunes does the same with my Nano.

Also, how are you supposed to disconnect the player? The manual says do not disconnect while "Connected" or "Updating" is on the player's screen. I've been searching for some type of "eject" or "Disconnect Device" on WMP, but I have been unsuccessful so far. So what is the right way to disconnect? perhaps this has something to do with it scanning my player every time I connect it...?

Lastly, I'm having trouble with getting videos on the player. I have a DVD ripping program (ImToo DVD Ripper), which rips to wmv (what the Gigabeat is supposed to play). So I ripped a DVD last night, and when I tried to sync it to the Gigabeat, it started converting the file before it sent it to the player. Anyone know why this may be? Oh, quick thought...maybe it's not ripping the audio to an accepted format and that is what's being converted? Is that possible?

alright, I think that's all I've got. Thanks a lot for the help!

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi Jack,

I don't use the quick list feature so can't help you there, sorry.

I am using WMP11 and have not found a way to save the gigabeat library. I too, find this to be a bit of a pain because I regularly remove old podcasts by using the "Genre" filter and have to wait for WMP11 to populate with gigabeat files.

Do not disconnect the player when it is updating. There is no problem disconnecting when the gigabeat is in connected mode.

When transferring a DVD that has been ripped to WMV, I believe the gigabeat will convert the file if it is not in the correct bitrate or resolution. There is a way to manage this in WMP, I think. Right click on the gigabeat and check out the settings in the properties dialog box.

While the gigabeat does have a few flaws (being tied to WMP, for example) I think it is one of the best devices out there in terms of features, construction, sound and overall versatility. I've had mine for 3 months now and have really been enjoying it.

Rob

P.S. Here's a forum for gigabeat owners if you haven't found it already. Maybe there is someone there that can be of more help:

http://www.mygigabeat.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back