Gifts that keep on giving...
Nov 24, 2003 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gbeard

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Headfier's,

I'm down to making a decision on a mp3 player for my two kids for Christmas. Which of these players is the best bang for $200 or under? Note that they are all on sale, and the Iriver 390 comes with some FM transmitter so it will play through a radio (is this any good?).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01052

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01052

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ww.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_0&oid=79300

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...k_15&oid=76322

Thanks for your advice.
gb

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 9
You may want to consider adding the Rio Nitrus (1.5 GB) to your list also as there is a rebate which brings it to your price point (though not at Best Buy). Depends on the use, but I'd move it to the top of your list if you were buying it for me (which you're welcome to if you get the desire).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cool gifts. I'm sure your kids will be thrilled.

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 9
I was just looking for a flash player for working out and got the iFP-190T (en route), think it's your last link. The 390T got a good review by Austonia, and is an updated version of the 190 (both are 256MB flash units with voice recording and a FM tuner). I looked at the MuVo NX and it got some bad reviews at epinion.com, though the 190T did also, issues about button workmanship (don't recall functionality) and the battery door, though several pointed out they had no problems with it opening by itself.

Nov 27, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 9
The iRiver ifp-390t has an FM radio tuner. It will not transmit over the FM band but lets you listen to radio.

I have the iRiver ifp-395t (same as 390t but w/ 512 MB) and it is excellent (although pricy). Get the 390t instead of the 190t. IMHO, the 390t is much nicer looking and may get ogg vorbis playback in the near future while the 190t has technical impediments regarding ogg.
I've handheld iRiver players from both the 100t and 300t series and the 300t series just feels nicer to me. The 395t is pretty easy to use. The number of options is huge but it still retains user-friendliness. The 300t series does not have battery door problems and the build seems better to me.

To me the Nomad just looks plain ugly and you know the cool factor goes a long way with kids.

I don't know too much about the Rio Cali player. The specs look nice and the possibility of buying a SD card to expand memory could be a plus. But SD cards are pretty pricy, so what are the chances you're going to buy an extra card down the line? I thought of buying one of those but did not because:
1. It can not be connected to the computer as a USB drive, it needs some management software. I don't know if your kids would worry about that though.
2. It is larger than the iRiver players.

The Rio Nitrus could be a nice fit. As blessingx said, it has a larger capacity than the players you looked at for the same price. It has an integrated rechargeable battery (it does not use AA batteries). Some people like that, some don't.

One way or the other, you'll have happy kids come christmas day.

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 9
The batterydoor of the iriver 190 closes just fine. You just have to press it firmly until it clicks. Some people don't do that and then it opens by itself cause it wasn't closed properly to start with.
I do think it can break easier though.
I have had my iriver 180 for a year now and it's still in perfectly working order.

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, I finally made a decision, although after seeing the falling prices on the Nitrus, I am wondering if I did the right thing. I ended up buy the Iriver 390t. My decision was made partly due the added value of the radio, and partly because both my kids run. Since they both own Discmen, I felt a smaller skip proof option my be the best choice. Obviously I could have purchased the earlier model for much less, but I felt the newer one might have better performance and features plus I had read many postive comments from people here at Head fi.

Now I need to find some decent inexpensive headphones to go along with them. Originally, I was going to buy some Px100's, but I blew that with the higher price of the 390t. Would everyone here agree that the KSC50 is a much better phone than the included Mx300?

Oh yeah. I almost forgot, anybody got a line on a nice yet inexpensive armband for runners?
Thanx,
gb

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
Now I need to find some decent inexpensive headphones to go along with them. Originally, I was going to buy some Px100's, but I blew that with the higher price of the 390t. Would everyone here agree that the KSC50 is a much better phone than the included Mx300?

Yes, the MX300 is crap. Buy some KSC50's, or if you can manage it, the KSC-35. The KSC-35 would probably stay on better for running.

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 9
The 390t 256mb comes with an armband and a case, If you didn't get the extended warranty, you might want to think about it as my first unit cracked and split right along the hold button . I had the older unit 190t but I lost it , I think the build quality(190) was a little better myself, but the new one supports ogg with a firmware upgrade and I like the display better on the 390 (blue) compared with the green of the 190. All in all a very nice flash player ! They will be thrilled!

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard

I've used my iPod on the treadmill and elliptical cross trainer and MX400 buds w/no problems. Of course the sound is better with KSC35s, tried them the other day and they shine. As long as I wear a hat with a cloth rolled up under it sweat is a non-factor (being winter). I'll probably end up using the 400s with the 190T when it finally arrives. I might even try the ety(ER-6)/iPod combo due to the gym TV noise being unbearable at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back