Gift for my brother! MS-1 or SR225...
Jun 20, 2007 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

scubadiver329

New Head-Fier
Okay, my brother plays guitar. A lot. And he also listens to guitar music. A LOT. Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan...

It is 90% of what he listens to. I made a thread a few days ago, and got two excellent recommendations for good cans. Alessandro MS-1 and Grado SR225.

Now I'd like to spend $100 on MS-1 rather than double that (I guess $175 on TTVJ) for SR225.

Is it worth the extra money for SR225 over the MS-1? I don't have a lot of money laying around, and if it's not TOO noticable, I'd like to settle for an MS-1.

He is pretty musically gifted, so he'll notice a good headphone from a not-so-good one.

Persuade me one way or the other, keeping in mind my budget.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 15
Hehe, I understand that...

But keep in mind... I get to use these too.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 15
I actually think the MS-1s would be better suited to your brothers tastes than the SR225s, but then again, I really dislike the SR225s.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 15
i'd say stick with ms-1 (though order with plenty of time to spare). i heard both briefly at the san jose meet (having owned a pair of sr60s for years and now currently in possession of a sr325i) and though the difference is there, it's only there if you can afford it. it's the same with all these headhones, really. the sr60s and ms-1s are really, really good headphones that will perform to the delight of virtually anyone that doesn't come in with preconceived notions. if you've got a couple hundred extra of disposable cash, then sure the added detail and clarity of the higher models is worth it, but if you don't then honestly the difference isn't worth the stretch.

i don't assume many here will agree, but there's plenty of time to upgrade and you can rest assured that if he cares as much about music as you claim he does, even with the ms-1 you're starting him off on the path toward more and greater sonic goodness

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 15
You tight sod.
Just buy him some HP 1000's........

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 15
MS1 is the better long-terms investion, as its musical bandwidth is much broader. Maybe your brother explores violin partitas in 10 years, that won't work very good with a Grado...

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 is the better long-terms investion, as its musical bandwidth is much broader. Maybe your brother explores violin partitas in 10 years, that won't work very good with a Grado...

ms-1s are grados, the differences are minimal

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 15
I followed the rules of the poll and took the budget into consideration and went with MS-1.

The MS-1 may even be considered a safer bet. As great as the SR-225 are, they are still more narrow minded in their greatness than the more versitile and, yeah, perhaps; more boring little cousin.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 15
I followed the rules of the poll and took the budget into consideration and went with MS-1.

The MS-1 may even be considered a safer bet. As great as the SR-225 are, they are still more narrow minded in their greatness than the more versitile and, yeah, perhaps; more boring, by Grado standards, little cousin.

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 15
I, like many, have owned both and the MS1 is hands down the better value. If you have money to burn then go for the extra detail and refinement of the 225.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 15
I listened to the SR225's today with a very nice headphone amp and a Naim cd player and liked the MS-1's a little better. The 225's may not have been burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back