Ghetto modding experiences.
Jul 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

fatleader

New Head-Fier
As a new headfi-er, I've had my PK1's for around a week, and have been driving them around with that nice Fiio E11 amp, and by golly do they sound great. But just a couple of days ago, I've noticed that the PK1's left earbud has this nasty rattle (exaggeration, sure) when I move the cord around, it sounds as if the driver doesn't snugly fit the casing. So being the obsessive compulsive freak I am, I had to act upon this crisis, and out came the scissors and tape.

I used some hockey tape (mainly because IMHO it feels much better against the skin than electrical tape does) to wrap the bottoms of the earbuds to secure it to the cabling. Looks terrifying, I know, but the ghetto mod sure solved the problem. No more rattling, and much improved microphonics control (do they only apply to IEMs? I swear its still a problem with earbuds).

Them PK1's

Spot the hockey tape? (Hint: it's the messy gunk of black at the end of the earbuds).
I've differentiated L and R with different color foams, because the symbols are covered up by my excellent handywork.

"Amateur Setup".

Anyways, what are some of headfi's experiences during desperate times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back