GF Gift Recommendation - Comfortable, Sound Isolating, Durable under $250
Dec 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ken3592

Head-Fier
Gift for a non-audiophile. Must be closed around-ear, comfortable enough for 4+ hour sessions and have excellent passive isolation. Ampless and DACless sources. Fun sounding and forgiving but more detailed than the likes of Beats. $150 Budget. She would be using them for editing videos/animations and listening to mostly funky EDM with a decent amount of vocals.

The B&W P7 sound perfect due to their rave reviews in euphoric music presentation without the need for extra equipment but they don't fit my budget and I'm not considering second-hand. They also seem too heavy for her tiny head.

I actually just purchased the Custom One Pro plus' but still am a bit worried about comfort, weight, and the "fun", non-fatigueing sound department; and that I may be paying for a customizability gimmick rather than for comfort, isolation, and pleasurable sound.

Happy holidays!

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 9
Without active noise cancelling, the Custom One Pros are some of the best headphones you can get that block out noise.
This is mostly due to their [unique] ear pads.
All the Beyer studio models are built like tanks, so that's my only recommendation for abusive girlfriends 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 9
In terms of sound signature, comfort, durability, and sound isolation how do the BD custom one pros and DT770s compare between themselves and to the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s?

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm desperate for some validation here haha. I hate to double post to bump this :frowning2:. Maybe it's the title? Looking for comfort, sound isolation, durability and low impedence for ampless use! DT770s seem great but I'm worried about 32Ohms not being able to be fully driven amplessly? Not to mention they are some of the bulkiest and most ordinary-looking headphones out there haha.

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 9
I haven't listened to the DT 770s myself, but you should know that they make them with different impedances.
Here is a link to the DT770s with 32 ohms: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTCYIGC/ref=twister_B01HNCPECQ

Here's a list of other popular portable headphones that fit what you are asking for:
V-Moda 100 (Really durable)
ATH MSR7
Momentums 2.0 ( I don't know how they compare to the DT 770s but I have read that they are extremely comfortable)
You already talked about the Sonys, they are also a good option.

All of these are good choices, I wouldn't stress too much about making the wrong decision because none of them are bad headphones.
Good Luck!

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 9
Last ditch effort without creating a new thread: Best closed, comfortable, "fun-sounding" cans for AMPLESS listening under $200?

I just purchased the Custom One Pro plus' for $140 but I'm having doubts!

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 9
I can tell you that my Axon 7 phone drives my BD DT770 80 Ohms without the need for an amp, so I don't see an issue with the 32 Ohm model. With that being said, the custom one pro's seem to be well received, so I doubt there will be any buyers remorse. As Jbiggie said, they are all good choices, it really just comes down to personal preference. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 9
I can tell you that my Axon 7 phone drives my BD DT770 80 Ohms without the need for an amp, so I don't see an issue with the 32 Ohm model. With that being said, the custom one pro's seem to be well received, so I doubt there will be any buyers remorse. As Jbiggie said, they are all good choices, it really just comes down to personal preference. 

I think comfort, isolation, and source forgivingness are actually slightly more important than sound accuracy in my case here. I don't want a headphone that will sound terrible with low-quality sources as they are a gift for a newbie; but I also want them to be more detailed and immersive than Beats and the like; and cheaper!

Maybe the Bose SoundTrue AE IIs are a better option than the COPs. But I just feel like Bose bottoms out at like 50hz and the 25-50hz range is really important to me in this case and I feel like for $150 rather than $100 there's gotta be a better SQ but just as fun and comfortable option as the AE IIs

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I get it, a lot to consider really, and too many choices. I can only speak for the Beyer DT 770 and the Fostex T50rp's, but your absolutely right, there's plenty of options at that price point that would fit your needs better than Beats and perhaps the Bose (depends who you ask).

My Beyers have an awesome low end, they are detailed, isolate very well, and are the most comfortable headphones I have put on. I listen with FLAC files, but they sound perfectly good streaming Spotify,they are forgiving. The downside is the cable isn't detachable. I'm hoping someone with some more experience with different headphones can chime in and give you a couple more opinions.

In the end though, if a comfortable, forgiving, and fun sounding headphone with a great low end is what you are after, I would find a place with a good return policy and test them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back