Getting tobacco smoke smell out of something?
Jul 24, 2009 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Headphoneus Supremus
I accidentally stored a half smoked cigarette (completely extinguished) in my cigarette case, and it stank up the whole thing. It ruined all the cigarettes that were in it and now the inside of the case still smells very much like nasty burned old tobacco.

I loved the way the unburned cigarettes smell and I want to get this smell out.

I've heard I should put it in a plastic bag with baking soda and something else and just let it sit for a while but I forgot what the other thing was. Any ideas on how to clear out this nasty smell?

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 13
^^^

whats this case made out of? wood? metal?

the above should work for wood...if its metal, just give it a REALLY good cleaning out with soapy water...dry it nicely.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Natural remedy. Spray with some watered down distilled vinegar. It absorbs the smell and after it dries and airs out a little there is no smell left from the smoke or the vinegar.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Is vinegar harmful to rubber and/or leather? The case is leather on the outside, metal inside, and has cloth covered stretchy bands to hold the cigarettes. Can I just pour in some watered down distilled vinegar, shake it up, pour it out and let it dry?

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Its fine for leather and I would assume fine for rubber. I have always used a spray bottle to mist around the smelly area. Ihave never tried pouring it on.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is vinegar harmful to rubber and/or leather? The case is leather on the outside, metal inside, and has cloth covered stretchy bands to hold the cigarettes. Can I just pour in some watered down distilled vinegar, shake it up, pour it out and let it dry?

No, don't put vinegar on leather or rubber. Vinegar = acetic acid = breaks down organic stuff. Of course, a little bit might not do any noticeable damage, but don't get in the habit.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 13
hmm i wouldnt put vinegar on leather, but thats just me....

in fact, i would try everything that didnt involve you getting the leather wet.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Pour some vinegar into a cup and set it into the cigarette case.
Let it sit there for a couple of days and it should have taken care of most of the smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back