Getting the Shure SRH1540, but what DAC/AMP?
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Noiz

New Head-Fier
Hey

My days of using gaming headsets are over, it's time for me to buy some headphones. But I got very little knowledge about " Real " headphones.

I've been pretty sure for a while of reading that I want the Shure SRH1540, but now for the question I think is much harder and confusing, what DAC and AMP should I get?

I don't wanna use a ton of money, maybe about the same as the headphones themself.

I Was looking at irDAC, but someone pointed out it had no AMP and to be honest I didn't really like the design, then I looked at one they used in a review. The Cambridge Audio DACmagic XS, but that seems small and cheap.  

(btw the captcha for creating this account was the number 1540 on a door, so thats a sign that the headphones are the right ones :)

Regards, Noiz

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 18
How about the Hifimediy USB DAC, $57 + shipping
And a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, $60.
Total with shipping, around $130.

Here is a used stack of Schiit (Modi/Magni), current bid is $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231642280501?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 18
Hmm, looks interesting. The Schiit Modi/Magni design was pretty awesome tho. I would love some hands on experience with AMPS and DACS with the 1540 tho. 

Haha I'm gonna annoy the crap out of you guys, I always uses weeks to decide on a single item I buy :)

The 2 items you posted looked great, but I don't want something portable, but more something that looks cool in an office :)

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 18
Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, about $315 (shipped).
It's what I think is "cool".
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 18
Wow, that one was pretty cool, DAC and AMP in one I see, thanks for the suggestion. Gonna read up on it. Don't be affraid to give more suggestions, and I would love to get experiences from people with Shure 1540 :) 

EDIT: Both these looks pretty badass, got alot to read upon. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 18
The Element is something I didn't know I was looking for, I was looking for something like Audio-GD NFB-15, but the more I look at the Element, the more I like it :) 

But how are DAC's and AMP's, I mean. If they are good, are they good for all headphones or can there be a huge diffrence from headphone to headphone. I'm like afraid an AMP I read is good, won't be good with Shure. forexample.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 18
  The Element is something I didn't know I was looking for, I was looking for something like Audio-GD NFB-15, but the more I look at the Element, the more I like it :) 

But how are DAC's and AMP's, I mean. If they are good, are they good for all headphones or can there be a huge difference from headphone to headphone. I'm like afraid an AMP I read is good, won't be good with Shure. forexample.

Can't see the Shure 1540 needing to be picky about the amplifier used to drive them decently.
My $27 FiiO E6 amplifier could drive the Shure 1540.
But the amplifiers built into the Element or NFB-15 should be better amplifiers, then the E6.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 18
Ahh thanks, sorry for all the questions, I'm such a noob at these stuff, lightbulb just started glowing in my head yesterday, " I need some good headphones, lets start reading " :) 

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 18
Thanks alot for both of your help, i'm kind of a noob, so I guess I wouldn't hear much diffrence from DAC to DAC, but compared to my old setup this is gonna sound very great :)

I'm moving in 3 days, so I'll be getting my new address then, so won't order until then, so gonna read up on both of these, tho there is not many reviews on The Element yet.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 18
I know it's an old thread, i didn't want to open a new thread for the same question ( s )
I'm using right now the Shure SRH 1540 + Creative Zx and i'd like to ask you if i could use some DAC / AMP together with Creative Zx.
Is that possible ? I like the Soundcore3D audio processor for gaming, and i wonder if some AMP / DAC will improve the sound quality at all
Thank you

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 18
  I know it's an old thread, i didn't want to open a new thread for the same question ( s )
I'm using right now the Shure SRH 1540 + Creative Zx and i'd like to ask you if i could use some DAC / AMP together with Creative Zx.
Is that possible ? I like the Soundcore3D audio processor for gaming, and i wonder if some AMP / DAC will improve the sound quality at all
Thank you

For music audio (stereo audio), an external headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance, connected to the SB-Zx's Front speaker jack.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 18
  In this case i could use both, the Zx and the external amplifier ?

Use both the SB-Zx's headphone jack, for gaming and the external amp for music, sure.

How much the external amp will improve music audio is just not something I can say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back