getting the DAC out of a CD-Rom
Jul 14, 2004 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
in my previous work place, there was a CDRW of LG (can't remember which) that to my ears, sounded very good. i tested it with the HD600 and ER-4P/X and was very pleased with every aspect in the sound..please spare any comments on how crappy the specs are..

is it a hard work for a good DIY'er (not me, who has no clue) to make a standalone DAC out of the components?

thanks
adam

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 3
With a service manual for the drive it's doable for a person with experience in electronics. Without a service manual - don't bother! Even if you have the service manual you could still run into trouble such as differences in digital input formats etc. IMHO there are easier ways of getting a dac. If you want to build something for yourself, consider starting from Rod Elliot's project 85 or Scott Nixon's dackit pcbs. You can then progress from those to something more advanced if you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Jul 15, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 3
i don't want to make it by myself. the good scenario was that this wouldn't be hard to do and cheap. if it ain't i won't bother with any DAC, i was just curious i had to ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back