Getting sucked back in
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kubernetes

100+ Head-Fier
Heh, well after a long hiatus, I'm visiting Head-Fi regularly once again.  The impetus has been a coming divorce and a new pair of ESW9s.

I joined way back in 2001 with a new pair of Sennheiser HD-580s.   They were great, but they definitely needed more power than I could get out of my discmans.  That led me through a long journey in audiophilia and the following equipment:  Headroom Airhead, Grado RS-1, Etymotic Er4p (and resistor cable), Headroom Cosmic, ATH-W100, Earmax Pro, ATH-W1000, Sony  MDR-F1, and a variety of earbuds/IEMs:  e888, Westone 3, ATH-CK7, ATH-CK5m.  

As of now I have the Earmax Pro, W100, F1, Etys, CK7, and ESW9.  Took a break for a while because I felt that I had obtained the best of every phone for every category that mattered to me:  Home (W100), work (F1), portable (Er4p or CK7).  And I will be straight up: I love that   honey-sweet midrange from woody Audio-Technicas.  I've heard more than my share of more neutral or "uncolored" headphones, but I always come back to that ridiculously mellifluous midrange from ATs, especially out of a tube amp.

So that brings me to the ESW9s.  Been going through a divorce and bought these as a matter of retail therapy.  They're awesome, kind of like a mini-W100.  Yeah, the bass is a *bit* slow, but everything else shines.  Super sweet midrange, extended highs, impactful bass, and great soundstage.  BTW, smartphones are getting very good in terms of SQ.  I'm using a Samsung Vibrant as my portable source; it has a Wolfson 8994 chip, which sounds damn amazing, especially with the available software tweaks available (128x oversampling and hardware anti-jitter).  

In any case, I'm back here.  Any advice for sub $200 portable amps with tubelike sound?  I really like that sweet midrange and tight (not necessarily huge) bass.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Can't advise you on any amps but welcome back anyway! I only joined this forum last year ( I am more here for the music/sound science than the headphones) I like the variety of topic and general feeling of camaraderie you sense from the members and their discussion. Best of luck with your portable amp shopping!

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 4
It's nice to see some love for the W100. They really are something special, and one of the best of Audio-Technica's woodies in my opinion.

As for the ESW9, I personally don't feel they benefit much from amping. I've run them out of various high-end amps before, both solid state and tube, with no appreciable difference compared to straight out of a portable player. With a sub $200 portable amp, I don't think you'll find much difference at all.

They're great headphones, but don't change much with amping. Save your money for other gear, is my advice.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmm... thanks!  I guess I just get temped by all the shiny little amps.  "Back in the day" the big thing was amps built into Altoids tins.  And my Cosmic was HUGE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back